Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused with the terminology

former_member576008
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can someone please help me with the differences or both are same.

Restricted column and Restricted measure both are same ?

Calculated attribute, Calculated column and calculated measure?

Is there any other name for private measure?

Kindly add few more terminologies has differen name but same functionality if there is any

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member185165
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Neeraj,

Restricted column is like applying a filter on the column so that you restrict the resultant data set thats shown out of the view/query.

Restricted measure is where you apply the restriction the measure filed or column saying, give the rows where the measure is > some value or < than some value or between some value. Here you can use attribute columns also to restrict the measures and the resultant dataset.

Calculated attribute as the name suggests is applied on a attribute/dimension column/field, to clean the data however you want. Say for example you have material numbers as mat0010011234567.

But you want to see only the last for few in this then you create the calculated attribute and get the resultant by applying the string functions. These are created in attibute views or any other views on , only attribute/dimension fields/columns.

The same kind of calculated columns can be created on measure/key figure columns/fields, which are used to get some calculation logic's to be implemented say you have cost price and selling price separately in two different columns/fields then you create a profit to find the difference between these two.

I hope the explanation is clear, let me know if you need any other details still.

Thanks & Regards,

Vijay

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Neeraj,

1. Calculated column / calculated attribute is something which needs the help of calculation engine to be processed/computed.

Eg: If you create an calculated column say X inside analytical view AV1 whose formula is something like X = Y | Z (concatenating two columns). then analytical view creates a wrapper calculation view to execute this kind of calculation as it needs help of calculation engine. This is a calculated column / calculated attribute.

2. Calculated measure is something which doesn't need help of calculation engine to be processed/computed.

Eg: If you create an calculated column say X inside analytical view AV1 whose formula is something like X = Y * 10 (10 times X). then analytical view doesn't need any help of calculation engine. This is a calculated measure. No wrapper view is created.

3. Restricted columns is the place where the measures are restricted based on attributes. Basically restricted columns and restricted measures are one and the same.

4. I'm not very sure about the private attributes, but I believe these are the attributes which are private to analytical view if any attribute view is used inside it.

Regards,

Anil

former_member185165
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Anil,

Any calculations in HANA invokes calculation engine, be it calculated attribute or measure.

So I would say your point 2 here is incorrect.

Thanks & Regards,

Vijay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vijay,

Only Calculated attribute like I mentioned invokes calculation engine and creates a wrapper calculation view for the same base AV. You can try it out based on my steps given in the example above and see the results for yourself.

Most of the calculated measures are done inside OLAP engine and doesn't require help of calc engine

Regards,

Anil