SMP 2.3.x / 3.0.x MBO - updating / reinstalling app and user data
We've been developing with SMP MBO runtimes for a long time.
That's a great experience and so on, but one thing that still bother our development team is when an app update has to happen.
The real life:
- Target devices: iOS 8.x onwards
- We have a running, native, MBO based, online/off-line app, running sharp.
- Backend is SAP, talking through RFC.
- Users are registered and authenticated through LDAP. Works like a charm.
- The customer asks a new feature, that demands either a new RFC/MBO or updating an existing structure.
- The development team takes care of whatever is required. New or updated structures are maintained within the new app release.
- Tests are done. Success!
- Now... the pain --> the time to distribute the app over the air...
The issue: the database structure is not correctly adjusted after app update.
By the end of the day, we ask our end user to remove the app and reinstall it. Voilà!!!! After re-registering, the app comes back to work.
But all records (specially pending records) are gone forever and THIS is a severe issue.
But, come on... this is cumbersome to the end user. There has to be a better way to do that.
The question is... using the API, either iOS or SMP Native Object API for MBO runtime, how can we manage the app update procedure in a clever way, like common apps we find everyday in the app stores?
Any advice will be welcome!