cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Copy to Smaller Memory Footprint?

former_member184709
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Have been researching this issue here in SCN and in the system copy documents, and blogs, but have not yet found a clear example.

Say my production HANA DB loads into a 1TB memory footprint.

I have a sandbox environment, but it only has 256GB of memory available.

This is doable in the traditional SAP ECC/Netweaver world, where memory is not a factor as long as you have enough hard disk. However, in HANA, since memory is so tightly a part of the application, I need to figure out how to size refreshes.

Can a system copy be performed on HANA in this case? Even if there is a performance degradation, is it still technically feasible?

Also I see the "cold data" concept, is it possible to use the EARLY UNLOAD concept to just load certain objects (like BW Infocubes) you are trying to test, into memory, so the rest of the objects are just waiting on disk?

Thanks,

Derek

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Derek,

Most often the memory allocated to HANA systems in Non prod is not an equivalent of Production unless it is required to keep production like performance in Non prod

System copy and refresh is supported from a large HANA system to a smaller HANA system with less memory. There is no change in procedure to do this refresh, it is a standard backup and restore

I believe you could make changes on SAP side to load certain objects into memory but we never had to do it on Non Prod as the performance of the system is not critical in our case

Hope this helps

Sunil

former_member184709
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks everyone for your very helpful replies.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member182967
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Derek,

In general, you should have enough memory to hold the date from system copy, or you may face the running out of memory error.

Regards,

Ning Tong