Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Functional specification

former_member201039
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hii sap mentors,

Can you guide me step by step how to write functional specs for making z report for equipment availability.

it will be a great help for me. Will be rewarded.

Regards,

Sameer

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

jogeswararao_kavala
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Sameer,

What happened to your previous thread on the same subject? I replied some thing there. However see this:

• A functional consultant to be able to fill these specifications has to be well conversant with the tables and fields for the report he is asking for.
  • Similarly he should be able to provide program logic such as: if no rows are selected in one table then what? if a field value is Zero then what? etc. Means details for syntaxes IFs, ELSEIFs etc.

As far as format for specifications  is concerned, you have your own adopted format acceptable to ABAPers. This mainly contains:

• Version number and Date
  • Version History
  • Requested by Name and other details
  • Purpose of the development
  • Brief Description of the job Requested
  • Tables involved
  • Selection screen details through Tables&Fields
  • Output details through Tables&Fields
  • Program Logic:
  • Testing details: such as Client, Name, Date etc.
  • Signatures: if required.

Practical difficulties:

It is obvious that expecting FS by fresh functional consultant is not practical because, it takes lot of time to become conversant with all the tables related to a module. Only after this he will be able to prepare an FS. So what happens is that he explains to ABAPer through standard screens and/or standard list report to ABAPer who understands the tables and fields easily lso understands the logic through this conversation and helps in filling this FS form. This process after sometime the Functional man will be independently able to do it.

I always felt convenient to develop my self so that the time consumed in communication is eliminated. This does not mean FS need not be prepared. In this case I should prepare the FS for records when I am developing some ABAP product. FS is required for Audit purposes also.

Related posts:

Good luck

KJogeswaraRao

former_member201039
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Sir thanks for the guidelines.

Sir can you take me through an example.suppose i have to make z report for equipment availability. Now how tables and fields should be picked.

Initial screen i want like this:

1. Planning plant-

2. Planner group-

3. Equipment-

4. Functiinal location-

5. Year-

6. Month from - to month

Output i want like this-

1st column- functional location

2nd coulmn - equipment no.

3rd column - equipment description

4th column - mttr on hr basis

5th column - mtbf on hr basis

6th column - f.l or equipment availibility in %

sir pls guide me by taking through this. It will be great for me.

jogeswararao_kavala
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Sameer,

I already addressed this. You can not learn these things in one thread. Also please note that one is supposed to know these fundamental things before he starts participating in SCN.You need to learn these things from your surroundings (usually ABAPers). A very basic thing to find about the field name and the table which it belongs is through F1 key . i.e., You will press F1 key of your keyboard while keeping the cursor in the field. Then from the Technical information icon of the help screen you will come to know these things.

Also go through this post:

You get plenty of such material here (Go through maximum number as you can while exercising in system). Always search Google the referred link here is searched.

Good luck

KJogeswaraRao

former_member201039
Active Participant
0 Kudos

sir, i know how to find field and table name. my intention of asking was the process for the above question.

jogeswararao_kavala
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Only process is putting it down under the heads already discussed.

MTerence
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sameer,

This document you need to prepare by your own, refer below thread.

Regards

Terence

former_member201039
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Sir,

Thanks for the reply but i want to write functional specs not technical.pls guide me. How to choose tables and fields name.how to make logic for the program.

MTerence
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sameer,

Refer this thread.

How to write functional specs? | SCN

On your last reply, it looks like you need assistance on preparing the sample data. You need to explain,

Is the report can be generated in Standard or we need a custom report ?

What is your report all about ?

What are you trying to implement ?

What fields you want in selection screen ?

What are the fields required in the output ?

Tables and information's related to the report you want to built. Refer below for the entire table list

Plant Maintenance Tables | SCN

Regards

Terence

former_member201039
Active Participant
0 Kudos

dear sir,

can u please send me the functional spec template.

peter_atkin
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sameer,

Try this: Let me google that for you

PeteA|