cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use ZMCR/ZMHF or QGM for Project Rollouts?

Sajid
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

We are doing global implementation and are planning to go live with ChaRM soon. We have dual track landscapes, for production support we have decided to use ZMCR/ZMHF but we are still not sure if we should go with QGM or ZMCR/ZMHF for project track.

QGM is simpler but lacks approval/workflow ability that ZMCR has. On the other hand ZMCR/ZMHF offers all the features we are looking for but does it really make sense to use urgent change in project landscape? I am asking because in project we want to move transports in bulk at various phases of projects. How is this controlled using maintenance project and urgent change?

I am aware there is also normal change, but we would like keep the same process for production and project, and also normal change involves TOC which we do not like to use.

So my question is does it makes sense to use only ZMCR/ZMHF in project track? If so how to control movement of transports?

Thanks

Sajid

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Sajid,

You need to understand conceptually few things...when you say implementation track/rollout track that simply means you need to create an implementation project for the same.

so there will be 2 projects one for maintenance project of maintenance track

another one implementation project for rollout/implementation track

for an implementation project there is no urgent changes and only normal changes so you can't use only urgent like you have mentioned

i would suggest you to use the new Central CTS capability of Solution Manager ChaRM which helps to resolve many issues when you have dual track

you need to create different cluster and it allows very good amount of flexibility to control changes/transports across landscape.

Please check below doc which might help you further.

Central Change and Transport System - SAP Solution Manager - SAP Library

hope this helps further.

Thanks

Prakhar

Sajid
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Prakhar,

Thanks for taking time to reply. I am aware urgent is not available under implementation project, but I am wondering why can't we use maintenance project for project track. My idea was to somehow control the bulk move of transports at different phases of the project using authorization. Not sure if it makes sense but what will I miss if I use urgent instead of normal?

Thanks

Sajid

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sajid,

In an implementation project you don't have anything urgent because this is not live yet and this is why you are not suppose to have urgent changes

also in terms of bulk Normal changes do carry things in a bulk or many transports 1:N.

there is nothing wrong if you follow the standard process at all Urgent changes also follow the short route where as normal which is more aligned to project approach should follow the proper schedule release

You won't miss anything both are technically designed for different reason sufficient for this purpose

hope this helps

Thanks

Prakhar

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Sajid,

is it clear now..you need any more help

thanks

Prakhar

Sajid
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Prakhar,

Your answer was helpful in confirming my thoughts. We are now leaning towards QGM but I am still looking to hear from those who might have tried urgent for projects and what challenges they faced.

Thanks

Sajid

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sajid,

ChaRM and QGM have different purpose and therefore the functionalities are a bit different so make sure the requirement is met with what is expected.

it is against the design for urgent change in implementation Project so you won't get that answer as I have already told you earlier when there is nothing live yet so there is no urgent changes for it.

if ur issue is resolved...feel free to close it.

thanks

Prakhar