UK: VAT delivery date in previous period than Sales Invoice
For a specific client of mine in the UK, we would require the ability to report on VAT on the date of the delivery of goods and/or services, which would not necessarily be in the same period as the Sales Invoice date.
A little illustration:
1. Company A delivers goods and/or services to company B in period X
2. A billing proposal is sent to company B, who should agree on the amount to be billed.
3. Company B agrees (or disagrees and makes another proposal, which will occur in most cases) on the amount to be billed in period Y (period X has been closed)
4. Company A creates the Sales Invoice in period Y, referring to the goods/services delivered in period X.
5. However, HMRC requires to report on the VAT within the period of the delivery of the goods and/or services, thus in this case period X. However, as period X has been closed, company A has only the ability to post the sales invoice in period Y.
Is there any way to be able to post a Sales Invoice within period Y, but reporting the VAT in previous period X?
I can't imagine my client is the only company struggling with this. They don't want to create the Sales Invoice in the same period of the delivery, as this will lead to too many corrections afterwards and a messy and incorrect VAT reporting.