Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Process Chain Run-time Analysis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello ABAP experts,

I'm a BW guy and I am tasked to make a program that will compute the average run time of every active process chain. Active I mean still being used and running on a regular basis. After computing for the average run time, it will be stored into a 'Z' table together with the other details of the chain. Then another program will be scheduled to run periodically to check if the chains are not running too long compared to the computed average run time of the first program.

But first things first, I want to know the best way to compute for the average run time of every active chain on our system. I've read about the RSPCPROCESSLOG table and found out that I could get the start and end timestamp there for every chain variant. It seems simple in theory because you would just subtract those timestamps and add all the results for the variants and then you could get the runtime of that specific run. But I am looking for an API that could actually do that for me.

Could you suggest some APIs that are actually intended to do this kind of job? Or is there any other approach that you know for doing this?

Any suggestion would be much appreciated. I'm willing to study everything that I need to just to finish this because again, I'm a BW guy and have a little knowledge on ABAP.

Thanks,

Rhonald Pahayac

2 REPLIES 2

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you're needing something developed, I strongly recommend hiring a developer. Or getting yourself sent on an ABAP course... or buying an ABAP book and learning it yourself. Decent abap skills for BI developers is extremely valuable. I've seen so much badly performing crud written by BI people who don't know the basics of programming.

However, I'm fairly sure that there are existing reports that give you this information - try ST13, BW-TOOLS, process chain analysis.

Or RSPC, look at a chain log and choose "Runtime Statistics".

Rather than write a bespoke program, another route would be to create a datasource on RSPCPROCESSLOG and load the data into a cube or DSO. Then you can run queries on it. You've got this great big data processing engine called "BW" - use it!

raymond_giuseppi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You might not need a Abaper, there are already available infoProviders for this kind of informations.

Hint: Start with Technical Content in BW Administration Cockpit : DataSources, Process Chain Status and Process Chain Statistics or look at business content (RSA5) for 0TCT/0BWTCT Technical Content.

Regards,

Raymond