Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP ECC migration

former_member201800
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Scenario -  I want to migrate my ECC EHP5 Application Server from below OS Release to below 'Target OS Release' on different boxes.

Current OS Release -

Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.9 (Tikanga)

Linux 2.6.18-348.6.1.el5 #1 SMP Fri Apr 26 09:21:26 EDT 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Target OS Release -

Linux 2.6.32-504.12.2.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Sun Feb 1 12:14:02 EST 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.6 (Santiago)

Can we perform this migration by unmounting all File System from existing  VM and mounting all the directory and file structure (SAP & DB) to New VM ?

or

There is only one option to migrate the system i.e. using DB backup and restore / System Export-Import .

Please suggest.

Regards,

Shyam Kumar

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member201800
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Thanks for your reply.

It worked for me..

Regards,

Shyam

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member201800
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Tong/Mahendra,

Thanks for your suggestion/reply..

OS vendor delivered the new server where they have installed

Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.7 (Santiago)

Our existing server have Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.9 (Tikanga).

Now my question is: Is it possible to unmount all the volume groups/LUNs (SAP Application and DB) from existing box and mount them to new box ?

Generally we follow the same method in DR(Disaster Recovery).

Note: Source and Target SAP/DB & Kernel will be on same version.

Regards,

Shyam Kumar

former_member182967
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Shyam,

Let make a big assumption. Almost everything including hostname, userid and others should be the same as source, then you umount and mount the LUN to target (SAP and DB needed files are also copied).

Then I think you'd better make a test.

I just guess maybe it works......... (I have never tested this scenario. To be honest, I am not sure. )

Regards,

Ning

varman_geek
Participant
0 Kudos

HI Shyam,

Firstly I am not a Linux guy, so I would like to provide answers on common perspective.

Your question is bit complicated. Let me put things in following order.

At any case of migration both the hosts(boxes) should have same type of configurations (ex: processor etc.) you cannot migrate SAP systems with different hardware!!

Answer for question on migrations

Case1: OS A version x -to-  OS A version y - Homogeneous system copy

Case2: OS A  -to- OS B - Heterogeneous system copy

Case1:

If you want to UPGRADE the OS of your SAP system, then it is not a migration. You have to perform a Homogeneous system copy from you source host to target host. In your case release 5.9 (Tikanga) to 6.6 (Santiago) both are Redhat products. Again configuration of source and target host should be same.

Note that you can do homogeneous system copy for different architecture of same OS (ex: source host-32bit, target host-64bit)

Case2:

If you want to Change the OS of your SAP system, then you have to perform Heterogeneous system copy, which is a OS migration procedure. Here you will perform source DB export and R3load transfer at source host and install new sap system at target host with DB import option.

Pretty critical process where a OS/DB migration check from SAP is must.

Answer for question on un-mounting and mounting file system

Basically you cannot do that easily by unmounting OS drive and mounting with different OS.

While you installing SAP system, it installs many OS dependent files at the OS drive. (incase on windows: system registry) Also platform-dependent and hardware-dependent files will remain in OS drive without which the SAP system wont work.

So you have to follow the above said migration options!!

I hope this would give you a better understanding on migration task. Also please go through following resource to have an in-depth knowledge

Cheers!!

OS/DB migration (SMP login required): https://websmp210.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700001135801999E#q1

former_member182967
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Shyam,

Interesting, in my current knowledge, I never heard that.

Beside the common method you provided, for some database, such as DB6, you can use relocate method as well.

Regards,

Ning