cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade BW to 7.31 or 7.4

reynir1
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi gurus, We are now running BW 7.3 and are planning upgrade.  As of now we do not run on HANA, but that is likely in the future. I am little confused to which version to upgrade to.  Is 7.4 only geared towards HANA? Is it then better to upgrade to 7.31 now?  And then upgrade to 7.4 (or 7.5) at the same time we move to HANA? Thanks for clarifying this, Reynir

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

FCI
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Reynir,

If you plan to migrate soon  to Hana, you'd better wait for upgrading into 740. As both operations can be done at the same time (DMO migration), it will be costly to split it in two (2 projects : with non regression testing, 2 downtimes etc). Unless you really need some 740 functionalities...

Regards,

Frederic

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

sander_vanwilligen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI Reynir,

Upgrade to release 7.4 is not limited to running on the HANA database. You can run on any (supported) database. I am not 100% sure if this will be the case for release 7.5. I get the impression that this is really a HANA release.

Although there are certainly new features for release 7.4 w/o HANA, the real benefits can be achieved on HANA. So you will have to think well about the timing for an upgrade: together with a migration to HANA or upgrade using the existing database. Also consider release 7.5 which is now in ramp-up.

Best regards,

Sander

RafkeMagic
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you can upgrade to 7.4 without having HANA as the underlying DB

(you won't be able to use HANA specific objects in that case though, but I guess that's quite obvious)