cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CR Version 13_15 still fails to print in landscape in Win 10

Former Member
0 Kudos

I reported this in August

That thread was marked "answered" and "helpful" (not by me) and closed by saying 13_14 was not compatible with Win 10 and that v15 was supposed to be.

Since I cannot add a post to that one, here it is as a new post.

Using 13_15 and the corresponding merge modules, the same problem exists. On my Win 10 test machine.

In August you said you did not have access to Win 10 to verify the issue.  Seriously?  I did not have it either, but felt compelled to put in on a test machine to ensure my software was compatible with it.  Turns out my software is compatible, CR apparently is not.

Appreciate it if someone with access to Win 10 could try this scenario and see what happens.

Thanks,

Charlie

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Charlie,

Other post was closed because Windows 10 was not supported then. And yes seriously we have access to Windows 10 now, both 32 and 64 bit versions.

You forgot to mention you are using Windows PDF and XPS printer drivers.

Have you tried other printers?

Are you using the WPF viewer? If so check this KBA:

1969955 - Using the the WPF viewer a landscape report printed to XPS printer driver displays as por...:

I suspect this is another MS XPS driver issue.

Also, search for KBA 2163438, I attached a printer test app that you can use to do the printing with. See if it works for you...

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Don,

I will look at the KBs, but for the record:  I am not using the XPS or Windows PDF drivers.  I am using a network HP printer that prints perfectly well in landscape using the same program and CR when sent from Window 7 and 8.1 machines, but gives the described behavior from Win 10.

I think in my original post I may have said it also displayed improperly on screen, when out of curiosity, I looked at XPS and PDF-----but I am not attempting to use them.  That was just an observation.  The problem is with a physical printer.

Thanks,

Charlie

0 Kudos

Ah, thanks for clarifying....

Sample app is attached to the KBA 2163438, it's at the bottom of the KBA...

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello we are also experiencing what looks to be the same issue with

Windows 10 only.

With a very basic C# application using Visual Studio 2013,we can replicate the issue.

The WPF viewer will present the report in landscape but will only print in portrait to the physical printer.

We upgraded the WPF viewer to SP 13_16 in hopes that this issue would be fixed but it still does not work.

Anything to address this is would be much appreciated as it is starting to impact quite a lot of our user base and its creating a lot of call volume to our technical support group.

Best Regards,

Carlo

0 Kudos

Hi Carlo,

Sorry I was sure they had fixed this.... I confirmed it will not print a landscape report.

I'll have to look into it and get DEV to fix it it is our issue.

Update:

Hide the CR Viewers print button and create your and then use the same API the viewer should be using:

doc.PrintToPrinter(1, true, 1, 1);

That works... I'll escalate to DEV for SP 17 fix.

Thanks again

Don

Update: Case - Incident 133474 / 2016 / Print from WPF viewer will not print landscape

KBA - 2284617

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Although this sounds like it's really an issue in CR4E itself, I would also have someone take a look at the connection in the Universe Designer and/or the ODBC administrator on the server and see which version of the SQL Server database driver it's using.  If you're on a version of MS SQL that's newer than 2005 and it's just plain "SQL Server" instead of "SQL Server Native Client 10.0", it may be that there's a conflict with the database client that's causing this.

-Dell

Former Member
0 Kudos

I was the original poster and I don't use SQL server at all, so I doubt it was part of the issue I described.

I did find a solution though:  I paid a guy to convert the report function from Crystal Reports to Microsoft Report Viewer.  I distributed it as a free patch to my customers and (knock on wood) the reports of this issue and a number of other squirrely behaviors of CR, which I reported in other posts on these forums, stopped.

Free at last, free at last...

Charlie

0 Kudos

Hi Dell,

I don't think you clicked on the correct post, this post has nothing to do with CR4E or SQL Server.

WPF is still new to CR .NET, sorry about taking so long to escalate Charlie.

And Microsoft still has an issue with the XPS printer driver.

http://scn.sap.com/thread/1771292?start=15&tstart=0

Work around at the time was to export to PDF and then print...

Don

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You're right Don.  That's what I get for leaving too many tabs open in my browser!

-Dell

Former Member
0 Kudos

Don thank you so much for your quick response, taking ownership of this issue and the work around! Now I can stop banging my head against the wall for the moment...

I was wondering what the turn around time might be for SP 17? Do you think we are talking about days, weeks or months? I need to decide if we want to wait for that or implement the work around you gave me in a maintenance release of our software.

Carlo

0 Kudos

Hi Carlo,

CR for VS is released quarterly in full builds only, no patches, last one was out end of January so next one should be end of May... And after checking our internal Wiki that is the RTC date. But that date can change depending on what QA finds...

There is also and Enhancement I had them do to be able to use either P2P or POC (PrintOutputController) in the Windows Form viewer as the default printing API from the viewer so I asked the Developer who implemented that change to see if it's possible to add that feature to the WPF viewer also.

POC uses the same Printer Dialog box that CR Designer uses and fixes a few issues the the Framework has when using this Windows API's to get/set/use the printers available from the framework:

System.Drawing.Printing.PrintDocument pDoc = new System.Drawing.Printing.PrintDocument();

System.Drawing.Printing.PageSettings pPage = new PageSettings();

We'll have to wait to hear from them on if they can implement the Feature....

Thanks again

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Don,

We will be looking forward to that release. In the meantime I think we will probably implement your work around. I tried it out and it seems to work fine. Only problem is that when we do it this way the user does not get the print dialog to change printers and it will only print to the default printer. Is there any way to invoke that print dialog prior to calling the print function so they can select from various network printers?

Best Regards,

Carlo

0 Kudos

Hi Carlo,

Search for this KBA - 2163438. I attached a printer sample app that queries the PC for installed printers and then from that list you can Select/Set the Printer properties or use P2P using those selected properties or use RAS and the PrintOutputController to set/use those properties

I don't have a WPF version of that app, sorry...

Don

0 Kudos

I don't see the same problem...

Code I used is pretty simple:

private void button5_Click(object sender, RoutedEventArgs e)

{

CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocument doc = new CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocument();

doc.Load(@"D:\Atest\Carlo DelFrate\DonReport1.rpt");

crystalReportsViewer2.ViewerCore.PrintReport();

doc.PrintToPrinter(1, true, 1, 1);

}

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

I was wondering if SP17 is still on track for end of May?

Thanks

Carlo

0 Kudos

Hi Carlo,

Yes it did get fixed and May 30th is the date for the release, I pinged DEV if this day is still the RTM release day. Will know tomorrow....

Nothing I've heard from them indicate there are any ship killers so it should be next week, possibly even this friday...

Check the download page and add a watch on it for updates.

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the update Don. That's good news!

Carlo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

I haven't seen this pop up on the download page. Is there a new ETA on this?

Thanks

Carlo

0 Kudos

No sorry, they had to update a 3rd party dependency and ran into some issues so until that is resolved they won't release the next patch.

Should be soon....

Answers (0)