Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems in DBISQL Sybase Anywhere 17

torsten_brinkmann2
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi,

i have two problem's with my ISQL 17.

If I want to copy (right click on the cell, copy data, cell/column)a value from a numeric column, I receive the value with a thousand separator. If I do the same but copying the row, the thousand separator is not copied which is correct in my opinion.

Another problem is, that the messages from the query (message type info to client) does not appear live in the progress tab when executing the query. All the messages appear only after the execution of the query ends. This behavior is in my opinion is new to isql17. In isql16/11 the messages appears live on the messages tab.

How can I change these two points to the “old” behavior (no copy of thousand separator, messages appears live while executing the query)?

Thanks and Greetings

T. Brinkmann

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member207653
Active Participant
0 Kudos

This is just a quick workaround, but if you open Region and Language settings > Formats > Additional settings > Numbers and set Digit grouping to 123456789 (note that there is no digit grouping symbol in this number), then dbisql GUI returns the result without separator.

torsten_brinkmann2
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot for this workaround. But i hope, that this workaround will be not needed anymore after the next ebf.

Maybe someone has a solution / workaround for the problems with the messages. It is very hard to debug when you only can see messages type info to client after executing the whole procedure / function. In the old versions the messages appeared live in the message window of dbisql

Thanks in advance for your support!

former_member207653
Active Participant
0 Kudos

http://dcx.sap.com/index.html#sqla170/en/html/81587f616ce210148f6896f5f23b9148.html

Please, check the documentation of SQL Anywhere 17 (link above). In particular:

"The message tab has been removed". This is still present in version 16.

So what you are observing is expected. You can open the history tab to see what executed.

torsten_brinkmann2
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Thanks for your quick reponse.

I know that i can see everything which has been executed in the history tab.

But in Version 16 it was possible to see "message xxx type info to client" immediately in the message tab in the moment they were executed.

In Version 17 i see all executed "message xxx type info to client" only after all commands has been executed.

Here is one example to illustrate the differences:

begin

message 'Test1' type info to client;

select * from sysevent;

message 'Test2' type info to client;

select * from systable;

message 'Test3' type info to client;

select * from sysprocedure;

message 'Test4' type info to client;

end

While executing these commands in DBISQL16 i will get 'Test1','TEST2'.. in the message tab after every select command.

In DBISQL17 i only see 'TEST1','TEST2'.. after executing the last select command.

This makes it very hard in DBISQL17 if you want to see which command is being executed now.

I hope this could better explain the problem.

reimer_pods
Participant
0 Kudos

IMHO it was a very unwise decision to remove the message tab. We make intensive use of messages "to client" while batch skripts are executed. With Java ISQL 17 this feature is pretty useless.

If I want to see the execution time or the number of rows that have been affected by a statement, I also won't have a chance to do this like before. As a developer and DBA, I rely on these informations for my daily tasks.

Sorry, for me that's not the road to user satisfaction. So please bring back the option to have a separate message window.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Torsten,

The issue has been fixed in future build (1309 or later), so the messages will immediately be displayed in the History tab.

Answers (0)