cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error "SM3PRODUCT" while trying to activate Planning Area (supply planning enabled)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Error while trying to activate my planning area:

I encountered an error while trying to activate a planning area which is being configured for Demand-Supply Planning . This Planning Area is configured to be supply planning enabled (Check box Y) - this is done so that while defining key figures for supply planning , I can define them as I/O for Supply Planning (which will be not an editable field otherwise). When I try to activate the planning area, I get the following error: SM3PRODUCT attribute is not enabled for this planning area.

This attribute SM3PRODUCT does not exist in the attributes / master data. Request you to please advise how to resolve this error.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Parveen and Alecsandra,

Thanks for your prompt replies. I created a planning area from scratch. It is named as M01PA .

1. created all attributes , PRDID , LOCATIONID etc... required for executing demand and supply planning

2. created requisite master data types and a single time profile ( m, q, y)

3. created demand planning key figures such as sales forecast, marketing forecast (stored values) and statistical forecast to be generated using forecasting parameters (applying smoothing , trend and moving average for best fit) . Also created a rule for consensus demand plan (if null or zero, then take average of statistical, mkt, sales forecasts)

SO FAR it was working fine.

4. So as not to disturb this functional planning area, I copied it and created a new planning area M02PA for demand and supply planning. I set this planning area to be "supply planning enabled"

5. Created supply planning related key figures such as dependentdemandatlocation (using Cratio) , dependentdemandatplant (using Pratio / Tratio / Uratio) etc and provided the appropriate calculation logic where applicable.

6. I got this SM3PRODUCT error while trying to activate M02PA. It has all the same attributes as M01PA (plus a few additional ones required for supply planning for PRODUCTIONSOURCE etc)

I must admit I didn't pay due attention to naming conventions. I used M01 prefix for all the configuration objects (attributes, master data, time profile, key fig, planning levels) for the M01PA but I used the same M01 attributes for my M02PA.

what is the root cause of the SM3PRODUCT error? Can u kindly share the rules for naming conventions

Best,

Alok Joshi

Alecsandra
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

You can check master data semantics on the Help portal:

Master Data for Supply Planning - SAP Integrated Business Planning - SAP Library

You could also use a copy of SAP3 or SAP4 as starting point for your planning area and further adapt.

Regards

Alecsandra

Alecsandra
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi

Did you create the planning area from scratch?

In order to enable supply operators you would need to consider a standard naming convention for technical IDs, fixed semantics like attribute PRDID, <prefix>/PRODUCT master data etc

Regards

Alecsandra

parveen_kumar6
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Alok

What is the prefix for your planning area? I think it is SM3 and hence system is looking for the MDT SM3PRODUCT. The naming convention matters for the supply planning. You need to define the MDTs with the same prefix as that of planning area and also use the attributes like PRDID and CUSTID.

Thanks

Parveen Kumar