Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prompts as Dataproviders

former_member402770
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am trying to change data source for Webi Reports using Prompts. I have Multiple dataproviders in my webi report eg: Universes, Bex, excel..

. How can i create the prompt in webi for dataproviders.

. Can we do both in Input Controls and/ in scheduling prompt as iam going to schdule the reports.

. When user selects dataproviders where universe1 then I am expecting universe1 table block in the report similarly if user selects universe2 then I am expecting universe2 table block in the report Similarly when user selects Bex Query then I am expecting bex query table block in the report etc..

Can anybody help me with an sample or snapshots.

Thanks

Dinya

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

amitrathi239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

If prompts are different in the webi report for all data providers then you can hide the  specific tables in the webi report when they are blank.

Right click on the table and checked the option "Hide when empty".With this if user will enter the prompt value for universe1 prompt then only table from universe1 display.other will be hidden.if user will select the prompt values from two universes then two tables will display.or based on the requirement you can do the conditional hiding also.

Amit

former_member402770
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Amit,

If my dataprovider is an SAP Bex datasource which i would be having 3 Bex Queris merged and showup the expected results in one table block.

So, in the input control/dropdown filter user will be selecting 3 dataproviders to showup one table block? Could we achieve this in an single selection to say it is SAP BW Datasource

Thanks,

Dinya

amitrathi239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

if i am not wrong then inputcontrol on the objects  level not on the data provider.

in your case create input control on the merged object and specify the condition in the table format on which condition you wants to hide.

or capture the prompt values in variable and define the condtion when you wants to hide the table.

Amit

former_member402770
Participant
0 Kudos

Amit,

As you replied for my earlier post. This is what i have in my webi report now:

one multi source universe based on the Oracle(New) , Oracle(Existing view) 1, Oracle(Existing view) 2, MSSQL,1, MSSQL,2. all views are going to linked with Oracle (New). So One DF layer and one Business layer for this.

SAP BI(OLAP Conn)  3 bex queris

At webi level added multiple queries and merge the  objects at report level.

What iam trying is below:

At report level, i should be having an prompt/filter/input control when user selects ? should display only that Oracle(Existing view) 1.

when user selects ? should display only that Oracle(Existing view) 2.

When user selects ? should display only SAP BI(OLAP Conn)  including 3 bex queris. I want to define this ? in prompt/filter/input control accordingly result display only that table block, the challenge here is SAP Bex queris where the number of queris is 3, but my expected display is one table block with result.

Thanks,

Dinya.

amitrathi239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am not sure how you will do this.but if issue with BEx queries only then keep the same prompts text in all three queries and create one table on these queries data.if you want to hide the tables based on the prompt data then you need to keep separate prompts for each views with optional prompts.Depend on the users enter the values you can display the data.

But i would suggest build separate report for each source View or BEx queries.Depend on the requirement users will run the reports.

Amit

former_member402770
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Amit,

i would suggest build separate report for each source View or BEx queries.Depend on the requirement users will run the reports.

Separate separate report for each source View with one BLX Layer build with all views or bex queris? Correct me if iam wrong on this.

Create one DF for each source view with one Business Layer  and build report with all business layers in one report?

just wanted to know how best way i can approach at universe and report considering performance as well as maintainence and easy navigability.

Thanks,

Dinya.

amitrathi239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Universe is something which is not required to create separate for each reporting requirement.Universe is something which cover some subject area so that same can be use for other reports also.

Now on your requirement you have mentioned in earlier post join is required/possible  between Oracle(New) , Oracle(Existing view) 1, Oracle(Existing view) 2, MSSQL,1, MSSQL,2.

in this case create one multi-source DF and business layer.with this in future also if some reporting requirement is to pull data from Oracle(New) , Oracle(Existing view) 1,then you can achieve this from one webi query only instead of create two separate webi queries and then merge the objects at report level.

About your reporting requirement if there is no requirement to merge the data at report level from different sources then  instead of putting everything in single report,create individual report for each data source from single universe.try to keep reports simple which will be easy to maintain and performance will be good compare to put everything in one single report.

Amit

former_member402770
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Amit,

I now understood your context of different requirements in place, so as our reqd is reconciliation between source(Oracle(New)) and targets(Oracle(Existing view) 1, Oracle(Existing view) 2, MSSQL,1, MSSQL,2). We would reconcile data like below in webi reports by merging common dimensions:

source(Oracle(New)) and targets(Oracle(Existing view) 1

source(Oracle(New)) and targets(Oracle(Existing view) 2

source(Oracle(New)) and targets MSSQL,1

Here is what now i decided to have one multi-source DF and business layer having my source (Oracle(New)) and different targets.

In webi report, i would be merging common dimensions for eg: if i take source(Oracle(New)) and targets(Oracle(Existing view) 1 to show the output elseif source(Oracle(New)) and targets(Oracle(Existing view) 2 elseif source(Oracle(New)) and targets MSSQL,1 etc ..

I should be have everything in one report  may be in one tab itself based on prompt/input control as datasource.

This is where i would need an approach in universe and reports. Am i good to go with.

Thanks,

Dinya.

amitrathi239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

If this is required for reconciliation only then create one DF and even can keep separate tables without joins. one business layer and separate class for each view or database.this is based on assumption only some technical people will develop the reports on this universe and not going to be use for other reporting.

instead of doing everything in one tab only ,create separate tab for  one each.like one oracle new objects and one for existing  one or display data like this.

source(Oracle(New)) and targets(Oracle(Existing view) 1 (One tab)

source(Oracle(New)) and targets(Oracle(Existing view) 2 (One tab)

source(Oracle(New)) and targets MSSQL,1 (one tab)

Amit

Answers (0)