Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade 10.2.0.4 in a box with MSCS + Data Guard

Ganimede-Dignan
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

we would like to upgrade our system from release 11.2.0.2 to 11.2.0.4, our box is on a MSCS cluster and is replicated on a remote site with Data Guard.

How.... what is the right procedure? Where can I find documentation do to this upgrade? Is there something in particular?

Thank you so much.

Regards.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ganimede,

> what is the right procedure? Where can I find documentation do to this upgrade? Is there something in particular?

At first you should read and follow the Oracle upgrade guide by SAP: https://websmp109.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700000608442010E/win_ora_upgrade.pdf

This documentation includes all necessary Oracle upgrade steps in SAP environment. However Data Guard is not covered, but you can find the additional upgrade steps in the official Oracle documentation: Upgrading and Downgrading Databases in a Data Guard Configuration

By the way Oracle version 11.2.0.4 is only in (free) support until January 2016. Afterwards you need to purchase the Oracle extended support or upgrade to 12c. So you may should think about going to 12.1.0.2 right now (instead of considering 11.2.0.4).

Regards

Stefan

Ganimede-Dignan
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

thank you very much for you links. I have a question.... does DBUA must be start before or after that I re-anable dataguard?

1. SQL> ALTER DATABASE START LOGICAL STANDBY APPLY IMMEDIATE;
  2. Open the upgraded primary database and allow users to connect. If you are using Oracle RAC, start up the other primary database instances.

Also, enable archiving to the upgraded logical standby database, as follows:

SQL> ALTER SYSTEM SET LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_STATE_2=ENABLE; 

...or do I need to start DBUA on primay and on logical standby?

Regards.

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ganimede,

> 1. SQL> ALTER DATABASE START LOGICAL STANDBY APPLY IMMEDIATE;

Logical standby databases are not supported in a SAP environment - please check SAPnote #105047 for further details.

> I have a question.... does DBUA must be start before or after that I re-anable dataguard?

This is exactly described in the mentioned Oracle documentation. The DBUA part is step "10. Upgrade the primary database as described in the Oracle Database Upgrade Guide. Note that the physical standby database(s) will be upgraded when the redo generated by the primary database as it is upgraded is applied." Anything before and after this step is exactly described.

Regards

Stefan

Answers (0)