cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAPGUI: SAP UI Landscape format vs. classical saplogon.ini

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I run SAPGUI 7.40 PL4 with the classical saplogon.ini / SapLogonTree.xml / sapshortcut.ini configuration files from server (SAPGUI options > SAP Logon Options > Server Configuration Files). No Netweaver Business Client installed.

After installing SAPGUI 7.40 PL5, entry for "Server Configuration Files" was emtpy.

I set it up again and I got the error message, that I have to use the SAP UI Landscape format (from Netweaver Business Client).

Is there a change with supported formats, that "SAP UI Landscape format" become mandandory format and classical saplogon.ini format is no longer supported ?

I got some messages during update, that files could not be updated. SAP Logon was already closed and "default continue" was accepted without any new pop-up.

Looks for me, that the patch level installation has some problems and does not recognize the installed options from SAP GUI setup (no Netweaver Business Client installed). Patch switched SAPGUI installation to NetWeaver Business client with SAP UI Landscape format.

Update:

After I set back the registry key, everything runs fine again.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SAP\SAPLogon]

"LandscapeFormatEnabled"=dword:00000000

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

thierry_renault
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello,

You should validate your SAPUILandscape.xml file using the XSD contained in SAP note 2112449 http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/2112449

Best regards,

Thierry

Peter_Inotai
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Some OSS notes, which could be useful:

2075150 - SAP Logon (Pad) 740: New format of configuration files as of SAP GUI for Windows 7.40

2225093 - SAP Logon (Pad) 740: command parameters /INI_FILE=... and /LSXML_FILE=... didn't work anymore in PL4+PL5

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Tibor,

If you use SAPGUI without the Business Client, by default the (old) saplogon.ini/SapLogonTree.xml files are used. This is the case still with SAPGUI 7.40 Patch 5.

If you have enabled the Landscape Format, you have to provide a server configuration file that is in the new format. SapLogonTree.xml is the old one.

In your case SAPGUI was configured to use the new format, but your configuration file on server is still with the old format.

For more information how to create a server file in Landscape format you have to

refer to the documentation, for example the "SAP UI Landscape Configuration Guide" or the help page: User Interface Add-On for SAP NetWeaver - SAP Library

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Vasil Bachvarov

SAP SE

Peter_Inotai
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can find some info about new format valid for 7.40.

Not sure if it's still valid for PL5. Anyway I have the impression SAP's intention is to get rid of saplogon.ini. Maybe they force the change now with PL 5:

Vasil Bachvarov Oct 14, 2014 2:02 PM (in response to Peter Inotai)

Hello, Peter,

Peter Inotai wrote:

Some extra info. We already used the "Server configuration files" option with 7.30.

After upgrade to 7.40 my local very old files were converted, but how to convert the ones on the server?

The conversion of the server files can be done by an administrator only.

The administrator can use the server files as their own SAP GUI configuration before first startingSAP GUI 7.40 (copy the server files to admin's %USERPROFILE%\SAP\Common folder with proper names - saplogon.ini, sapshcut.ini, SapLogonTree.xml). This migration is done only the first time you start SAP GUI. If you need to do it again, you will have to remove the files SAPUILandscape.xml and SAPUILandscapeGlobal.xml.

Once the Administrator has the SAPUILandscapeGlobal.xml, it can be published via HTTP, or put on a network share.

Edit: The "Global" file contains only message servers, routers and NWBC shared connections. In order to share also the SAP GUI connections on the server, the administrator needs to manually edit the SAPUILandscapeGlobal.xml and copy the services and workspaces with their contents from the SAPUILandscape.xml. Currently there are no SAP-tools to facilitate this step.

Then every user machine needs to have a registry entry "LandscapeFileOnServer", similar to the "ConfigFileOnServer" in SAP GUI 7.30, which points to the HTTP URL or network share with the server landscape file.

It is very important to always keep the UUIDs in this shared file constant - never change them.

The maintenance of the server UI Landscape needs to be done manually or the file can be generated by custom tools only at the moment.

Peter Inotai wrote:

Only option I can think of is to maintain locally the files and do the 7.40 upgrade there and use that files. Or there is an option to force the conversion for the files on the server?

Your assumption is correct. This is the workflow at the moment.

Unfortunately, the files on the server cannot be migrated automatically, because SAP GUI is used by normal users and they in general do not have modification privileges on the server/network share. The shared files need to be updated by an administrator.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Vasil Bachvarov

SAP GUI for Windows Team

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello, Peter,

Your assumption is correct that SAP's intention is to transition from saplogon.ini to SAPUILandscape format. However, SAPGUI 7.40 Patch 5 still uses the SAPUILandscape format as default only when SAPGUI is installed along with the SAP Business Client.

If the Business Client is not installed then SAPGUI uses by default saplogon.ini.

saplogon.ini will be obsolete in some future patch or SAPGUI version, but I cannot give a definitive answer. We would like to make the transition as smooth as possible and therefore we are trying to give our customers enough time to migrate their configurations comfortably.

Thanks and Best Regards,

Vasil Bachvarov

SAP SE

Peter_Inotai
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vasil,

Thanks for the info.

Best regards,

Peter