cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to have customer numbers always starting with 3 letters "EBE" or "EBD"?

former_member294672
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I want to have 2 types of customer belonging to separate company codes (under same parent company) & the customer numbers should be starting with 3 letters "EBE" for the first company code & "EBD" for second Co. code. It was told to do it functionally without taking help of ABAP or without using any user exits, i.e., the 2 customers will be assigned different account groups with "internal" number range such assigned that they will automatically start with the above letters and the rest could be digits like EBD0001,EBD0002...and so on. Similarly the other type of customer will start with EBE then numbers like EBE0001,EBE0002 and so on.

How do I create such a number range starting with the above letters?

So the number range in SAP for this material type is from A to ZZZZZZZZ but how do I create a new range interval starting with the above letters?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks & Regards

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

michael_kozlowski
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

you can define number ranges like

EBE00001-EBE99999

EBD00001-EBD99999

But this works in standard SAP only for external number ranges.

Br

Michael

former_member294672
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

But it should be internally proposed .The letters 'EBD'   or 'EBE' will always be system-proposed for any new customer created.

Regards

michael_kozlowski
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

unfortunately in SAP standard it is not possible with internal number ranges.

You can use Enhancement-Spot CUSTOMER_ADD_DATA to achieve this.

Br

Michael

former_member294672
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

How do I create the 2 new intervals as suggested by you  in the range EBE00001-EBE99999 & EBD00001-EBD99999??

BR

former_member294672
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Michael

What is CUSTOMER_ADD_DATA? And how do I use it to create such an interval?

And I think that is ABAP. I was told not to take the help of ABAP ,instead use only functional part of SD.

BR

VeselinaPeykova
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You cannot do this only with customizing settings. Have you attempted to suggest to your customer to adopt a slightly different logic - for example: instead of D to use 4, instead of B - use 2, instead of E - use 5? If the client really insists on using automatic numbering and cannot afford to pay for additional development effort, it might be worth trying.

michael_kozlowski
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

call transaction XDN1 to create new number ranges. Important tick "Ext." for external.

michael_kozlowski
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

CUSTOMER_ADD_DATA is a predifined exit where you can put ABAP-Coding in. So basically you can define your own logic for  numbering. I think it is the only way to fulfill your reqiurement to use alphanumeric internal number ranges.

Br

Michael

former_member294672
Participant
0 Kudos

No Michael, I don't think so!!!

My instructor told me that to do this as an assignment and I did it by using that number range letter already by SAP,I think it is that interval that has X as the no. ,A as From Number and Z as "To number" and I marked it as External ,but that will not serve my purpose since the Instructor told me that the first 2 letters will always be EBD or EBE according to the customer type and the rest can be numbers like 0001,00002,0003 etc etc . & remember this all cannot be typed by me but system proposed!!!

So as it stands ,you cannot use any ABAP or what you called as user-exit like "CUSTOMER_ADD_DATA" ,in fact I am learning SD and at the beginner level ,so I 't know nothing about either "CUSTOMER_ADD_DATA" or "ABAP" .

My instructor has specifically told me , that all these can be done by tweaking in the Functional module only & no need of ABAP.

So I hope that you can still suggest me a simple way around to achieve this without using ABAP.

Thanks & Regards

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

A function module (if you are talking about the same that can be edited by SE37 transaction) is nothing else than ABAP coding.

Are you sure your training is about core ERP and your trainer does not by any chance talk about a SCM system where prefixes are possible: Number Range Attributes - Number Assignment - SAP Library

VeselinaPeykova
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You have spent quite some time trying to complete this assignment. Have you asked your instructor for assistance/clarification? The main benefit in having an instructor is that he can guide you through the learning process and answer your questions.

michael_kozlowski
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

according my knowledge in ERP there is no other way as recommended in my previous posts.

Internal number ranges in SAP ERP are managed like this:

Last number 1000 + 1 = next number 1001.

And it is not possible with alphanumeric number ranges in SAP Standard.

Regards

former_member294672
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you very very much @jurgen .

Sir, that is exactly what I was looking for and I think you will also agree that this will serve my purpose. But how do I create this attribute for number range interval in SAP ECC6.0?  You said that this belongs to SCM module ,can I implement in SD module in my system having ECC 6. Ehp3? If yes, please tell me the steps to achieve this (and the Tcodes) & finally how to create such special intervals?

Unfortunately , my instructor is a very hot-tempered ,ill-mannered person who has no feelings & in spite of getting paid tuitions (i am enrolled in a sap class ) he is very rude & always harshly tells me to search the net or google it.

So I am asking in this forum for help as there seems no other way.

Thanks & regards

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I have not met any SAP solution in core ERP for this requirement, it ended always with customer coding

Just make use of the SCN search with the search term: prefix "number range"

you can get 55 hits in SD space only, and I am pretty sure they have the same set of answers, either say "not possible" or it mentions the user exit, and a small number of replies with wrong untested advises.

Is it a SAP partner training institute? Then it should be possible to address an official complaint, especially if have to pay for it.

former_member294672
Participant
0 Kudos

Sir,

Then that means I have to use BADI as the ultimate option?

Thanks & Regards

Answers (0)