cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GR for inbound delivery before confirm TO

former_member214692
Participant
0 Kudos

I have a business scenario where I am doing an STO from a storage location on IM to a storage location on WM (both under same plant). It is a requirement the sending storage location perform the GI step and generate the putaway TO *before* any GR posting. On the receiving storage location, let's say the shipment now arrives. I'd like the Receiver to physically verify the items and perform the GR posting *before* the material handler does the putaway TO confirmation. This makes sense sequentially -- verify the goods receipts and only putaway items that have been verified to have arrived.

However, SAP generates a VL608 error suggesting that the inbound delivery can't be GR posted until the TOs have been confirmed. Is there any way around this?

Vlad

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

MANIS
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This makes sense sequentially -- verify the goods receipts and only putaway items that have been verified to have arrived.--my view differ slightly as the confirmation of Transfer order is the kind of verification towards the material and quantity what you received. In standard the process flow is

STO---OBD---PICKING TO---PICK CONFIRM---GOODS ISSUE---INBOUND DELIVERY---PUT AWAY TO---PUT AWAY CONFIRMATION ---POST GOODS RECEIPT.

If you want to do PGR before TO confirmation then that is possible only with HU management

former_member214692
Participant
0 Kudos

Manish, Say I were to go with your view of TO confirmation before GR posting. Can you confirm the best config setting to allow me to adjust for TO differences (ie, item does not arrive, I record zero for quantity) and have that flow through to the inbound delivery so that my GR posting would remain in synch? Is that something I can control, and would I do that through V_T3333?

Vlad

MANIS
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In case of STO the stock will be in In-Transit, Since the sender and receiver is within the same company code this depend on business how to reconcile the in-transit stock if there is any difference(this can be occur due to mismanagement of Transporter or sending site however I can see that in your case it is within the same plant hence I don't see that this can occur due to TRANSPORTER) in one of my project they were receiving the full quantity and then transferring the difference quantity in Virtual storage location and based on business they use to debit transport or sometime sending site missed to load so they managed at their own Did not got your question related to V_T3333, please elaborate

former_member214692
Participant
0 Kudos

Manish,

I apologize in advance for my number of questions! I understand the basic process, but unsure about best approaches for addressing partial deliveries or partial cancellations.

The sending SLOC is actually a 3PL, and it is them and their trucks that is shipping (our IM inventory) stock to our manufacturing facility, so I am very much interested in exploring what happens when the receipt is less than perfect.Let's take example of STO with 5 materials (PO lines), single inbound delivery, and five putaway TOs having been generated. When the truck arrives, only 4 of the materials are TO confirmed. (The 3PL erroneously did the GI for 5 items, but only put 4 items onto the truck).

1) Recommendation for best way to identify this situation, particularly the 'open item'? I'm thinking on WM side, I can use LT22 or LL01 to identify the open transfer order. On IM side, I can use ME2N delivery based report. Any other report?

2) What configuration (if it exists) would enable me to do *partial* goods receipt for the 4 TOs? I don't want GR upon entire completion of inbound delivery. I want GR 101 posting the moment that each TO is confirmed -- is this there where V_T3333 comes in?

3) What is recommended approach for dealing with the missing 5th item? The 3PL would place the item on the next day's truck (associated with that day's STO). I have a couple choices: I can back out the GR/STO, delete TO, and delete the current STO line. Then when MRP runs following morning, that new STO will pull the missing item. Alternatively, the TO can remain open. 3PL would follow some manual process of getting that missing item onto next d4ay's truck, and the Receive would then complete the TO confirmation/GR for now yesterday's STO. Or is there a better approach?

4) A wrinkle on #3....say item arrives with lower quantity than on inbound delivery. I . can do TO putaway with differences. But can GR posting also be automatically adjusted for the TO putaway amount? And to take it one step further, let's say the partial shipment is due to the fact that 3PL has insufficient stock, and our MRP planner/Buyer decides to accept this fact. Desire is to close out the STO. So again, I need to a GI reversal for the delta (unreceived) amount and attempt to cancel out the delta (unreceived) amount of the putaway TO. Any magical way to do this easily? Or maybe it's best (easier?) that I do full receipt of the detal amount into some virtual storage type and then immediately GI out.

5) 3PL is using MIGO_GR for the GR/STO and VL06IP for the TO background creation. Are there any better transactions to consider? Are there any benefits to using VL60 for any part of the process?

Thanks for your help!

Vlad

MANIS
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No worry....you can shoot as many question as you want. Happy to help. Please find below my response in red against each point

1) Recommendation for best way to identify this situation, particularly the 'open item'? I'm thinking on WM side, I can use LT22 or LL01 to identify the open transfer order. On IM side, I can use ME2N delivery based report. Any other report?  -- if you want warehouse level visibility (how many TO are open then LL01 or else ME2N it depend at what level(IM or WM)  you want to see the report

2) What configuration (if it exists) would enable me to do *partial* goods receipt for the 4 TOs? I don't want GR upon entire completion of inbound delivery. I want GR 101 posting the moment that each TO is confirmed -- is this there where V_T3333 comes in? -- Please explore the option of using

SPRO---LE---WM----Interface---Shipping ----Define Shipping control --Define shipping control at movement type level, Copy WM quantity as delivery quantity in WM and post GR

however in the above scenario you still need to confirm the transfer order with difference and the difference quantity will move to 999 in your warehouse which means you are creating a inconsistency in warehouse as physically this was not received to you (recommended  approach in this is that cancel the 4th Transfer order manually using LT15 go to edit mode of the Inbound delivery change the delivery quantity manually and then perform PGR)

3) What is recommended approach for dealing with the missing 5th item? The 3PL would place the item on the next day's truck (associated with that day's STO). I have a couple choices: I can back out the GR/STO, delete TO, and delete the current STO line. Then when MRP runs following morning, that new STO will pull the missing item. Alternatively, the TO can remain open. 3PL would follow some manual process of getting that missing item onto next d4ay's truck, and the Receive would then complete the TO confirmation/GR for now yesterday's STO. Or is there a better approach?

My suggestion is with the first one however it depend on individual business process and client

I can back out the GR/STO, delete TO, and delete the current STO line. Then when MRP runs following morning, that new STO will pull the missing item

4) A wrinkle on #3....say item arrives with lower quantity than on inbound delivery. I . can do TO putaway with differences. But can GR posting also be automatically adjusted for the TO putaway amount? And to take it one step further, let's say the partial shipment is due to the fact that 3PL has insufficient stock, and our MRP planner/Buyer decides to accept this fact. Desire is to close out the STO. So again, I need to a GI reversal for the delta (unreceived) amount and attempt to cancel out the delta (unreceived) amount of the putaway TO. Any magical way to do this easily? Or maybe it's best (easier?) that I do full receipt of the detal amount into some virtual storage type and then immediately GI out.

as mentioned earlier in one of my implementation they were accepting the difference quantity in the virtual location as the sender and receiver plant owned by same however in your case it is 3PL so you need to look from that perspective and whether your business allows that or not

5) 3PL is using MIGO_GR for the GR/STO and VL06IP for the TO background creation. Are there any better transactions to consider? Are there any benefits to using VL60 for any part of the process?

That is fine however if you want to automate then you can use WMTA output type to create the TO automatically

upon PGI using SPED system will create Inbound delivery then using WMTA can create TO

former_member214692
Participant
0 Kudos

Following up on #2, I may have not been clear. Let's say there are 50 items on the STO and all 50 items do arrive. I now have a single TO with 50 lines. But say it takes 2 hours to confirm all 50 TO lines. Is it possible to register a GR posting the moment the first TO line is confirmed, another GR posting after second TO line, and so on? This would reflect more accurate IM inventory than having to wait for all items to be putaway before GR can be posted

And one more thing. In VL06IP, when I generate the TO in background, I receive a dialog prompt with the default from V_T3333. Is there any way to suppress this dialog box?

MANIS
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This is possible using the option 4 from the shipping control at warehouse level . SPRO---LE---WM---INTERFACE---SHIPPING ---Define shipping control ---Define shipping control at movement type level (please define the value as 4)

Use RF transaction LM71 to receive the stock line by line and you will find that system creates GR the moment you confirm the first line

Cons of this approach is that you will have multiple Material document against the same inbound delivery number