cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TNS Protocol Adapter Not Loadable

Former Member
0 Kudos

In one of our servers, there are 2 systems sharing with two different databases. One of which is with Oracle 10g and one is with Oracle 9i. It is known that since Oracle 10g is the higher version, the listener that should take over is the one of that of Oracle 10g. And with our Oracle_Home selector, the selected item is BW1102. However, if this is the case, whenever i connect to SQLplus, there is an error indicating that the TNS: protocol adapter not loadable. Furthermore, since this is the case, the system fails to startup. As an interim solution, i used the Oracle_Home selector and change it to EC1920. Upon doing so, i could connect to SQLplus as well as the SAP system can now startup.I tried executing the command set to see upon what the Oracle_Home of EC1 is, but as i viewed it, the Oracle_Home of the EC1 is EC1920 regardless of what the chosen item in Oracle_Home selector is which is correct. This should not be a problem regardless of BW1102 as the Oracle_Home selected since this is a higher version of Oracle.

How can i resolve this problem? Hope anyone could help us. Thank you very much.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jett

Let us know OS

Status of Listeners Both V10 and V92 and respective port.

permissions for /tmp or /var/tmp

look into ORACLE_HOME\database\sqlnet.log

regards

Vinod

Message was edited by:

Vinod U

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Oracle Home Selector?

That means you are running on Windows and using multiple Oracle Homes. You should have read the remarks to this section in our Installation Guides!

When installing two Oracle Homes you have to modify the system environment removing all ORACLE_HOME\bin references from path!!!!

This is related to the special handling of the environment variable PATH. Normaly a user variable value overwrites a system variable value if they have the same name.

PATH is different: The user value is appended to the system value. This means that you can not overwrite the system part of PATH with a user specific definition.

Removing the Oracle_HOME specific parts from system variable path can be done by starting the Oracle 10 Universal Installer, click on Installed Products, select the Environment TAB, decheck both entries in the list an hit Apply.

At the same time you have to modify the user environment of the effected users to contain only the right Oracle_HOME\bin path he is going to use:

For every affected user logon using his account, right click on My Computer - Properties - Advanced - Environment Variables. In the section of User Variables for <username> select PATH in the list and edit it. Append <b>;<device>:\oracle\<sid>\102\bin</b> to the end of the string.

If PATH does not exist in the list you have to create it.

Note that you have to configure one Oracle Listener for every Oracle_home using two different ports (default SAP port is 1527, you may use 1528 for the second one).

Peter

PS: don't use the Oracle Home Selector. This one will change the order of the Oracle_home\bin directories in the System Path. You will run in troubles if your ORACLE_HOME environment variable does not fit the first %ORACLE_HOME%\bin directory in the environment variable path!