cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Testing Environment for Replication Server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I’m looking to create a test environment to try out the Sybase Replication Sever between a Sybase ASE v15.5 on a Unix system and MS SQL server 2000. I am looking to use Replication Server 15.7.1 to accomplish this. What would be the best way to test this setup, preferably before we have to purchase the corresponding licenses?

Thanks,

Scott

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I'd just like to close this up. It is possible to get an evaluation copy of the SAP Replication server (among other things), but you need to find and get into contact with your SAP Account Executive. If you have a valid SAP ID and contract, SAP support can direct you to your Account Executive. From there, you should be able to get what you need.

Thanks for all the help,

Scott Wendlandt

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I guess the first thing would be to check with SAP whether SQL Server 2000 is still supported as a RepServer target, given it's so old ... ASE 15.5 will work with REP 15.7 - though 15.5 is also out of support. If you're planning on doing this in production, support will be a big concern.

As for testing it out before you buy the production licenses, you should be able to use RepServer for 30 days under the initial evaluation license. Beyond that, talk to your SAP representative if you think 30 days is not enough.

I'm curious as to why you'd want to replicate from old-and-unsupported to even-older-and-unsupported

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Antony, thanks for the quick reply.

I can fill you in a bit more... The primary ASE 15.5 database is provided to us by a separate company, so we have no control over it. As for the MS SQL server, it is actually 2008, but running in 2000 compatibility mode. I haven't seen any documentation referring to compatible with MS SQL database versions though. Would you have an idea where that might be? I've read through a fair chunk of the infocenter's books on the subject.

As for a testing environment, I am having trouble finding the appropriate downloads. I can't find a good ASE 15.5 download, nor any place to download the Rep Server even for testing. Do I need to contact SAP directly to get an evaluation copy?

I'm still very new with all of this stuff, so I apologize if these are some rookie questions.

Thank you very much for you help,

Scott

former_member89972
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Scott

Will you be using the replication server in Windows environment or Unix ?

There is a component called DC which you will need along with RepServer to replicate to MSSSQL.

This replication flavor is called 'heterogeneous' (i.e. ASE to non-ASE)

If both are on windows it will make your set up a bit easier.

HTH

Avinash

former_member89972
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Antony

For ASE to MSSQL replication does the DC component have to be co-located on the same  OS (WINDOWS/UNIX)and host or  can they be on

- different hosts and

- different OSs too ?

Thanks

Avinash

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you don't already have access to SAP software then that makes things more difficult. You can download ASE Developer Edition - but it's probably only available as ASE 16.0 now. I don't think there's a RepServer developer edition (haven't looked).

Contact SAP and they should be able to help.

Likewise I think you'll have to contact SAP about support of SQL 2008R2 in 2000 compatibility mode ... Replication for MSSQL requires both the base RepServer package, as well as the "option for 3rd party databases". That option includes both RepAgent (for MSSQL to RepServer) and ECDA (for RepServer to MSSQL). Documentation for RepAgent explicitly says 2005 and below are not supported...

There are no rookie questions when it comes to RepServer

documentation (for RepAgent) explicitly says 2005 and below are not supported.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Avinash,

The ASE server is on a Unix machine.

I was aware that I was going to need an ECDA for the Heterogeneous replication, but what is the DC component?

Thanks,

Scott

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have to say I'm not sure ... DirectConnect is really a part of RepServer so it has to be on the same host. ECDA is a separate product so I guess it could be somewhere else on the network.

I suspect for MSSQL you'll need an ODBC driver for ECDA - and I doubt MSSQL provide a Unix ODBC driver

I am no expert on these things though ... and I haven't replicated to MSSQL before.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I was able to find an old SDK for 15.5, but it didn't include ASE. I haven't been able to find much else to help me.

I'll get in contact with SAP and see what they have to say.

Thanks a ton,

Scott

c_baker
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

From a technical point of view, as the other replies indicate, you may be able to solve this with Heterogeneous Replication from ASE to MSSQL using current SRS 15.7.1 + Hetero Rep Option (this may work as you are not actually replicating from MSSQL, only to it as a destination).

SRS can replicate from older ASE versions no problem (I am currently setting up a demo from ASE to HANA for A4A for TechEd).

But you really need to speak to a license rep about the licenses as well. Traditionally, the ASE included with an ISV application was a 'runtime' license and cannot be accessed, including replication or even querying, except by software provided by that vendor.  The only exception to this is if a 'full-use' ASE license is purchased to cover the external access - regardless of what version the vendor has certified.

Even if you own a full-use license, you may not be able to upgrade to current ASE (check with the vendor on what they are actually certified for), but even if you cannot upgrade ASE, SRS should replicate form it anyway.

So you will have technical and license issues to follow up on.

What is the need for the MSSQL server?  Could having a full use ASE help?

Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your feedback. I'll be contacting SAP representatives today to see what I can learn.

The MS SQL server is where our applications pull data from. It is high performance and tailored to our needs. We are not in a position to change this setup.

The ASE server is provided to us and is somewhat fragile - we do not want to put heavy loads on this server.

Ideal situation is not changing anything and just adding a Replication Server in-between the existing systems.

Thanks,

Scott Wendlandt

terry_penna
Participant
0 Kudos

Avinash

DirectConnect (DC) can run on either windows or linux it is an open client app and you are just connecting it to MSSQl using an OBDC driver.  Once it is connected to MSSQL then you just add it to the interfaces file for RepServer and create your connection and off you go.

If you follow the hetrogenous replication guide its pretty easy to setup.

Regrads

Terry

former_member89972
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Terry

My earlier (mis?) understanding was RS and ECDA/DC were needed on the same host.

And as you may guess setting up ODBC from UNIX to Windows is challenging to say the least.

In a nutshell following heterogeneous replication should be possible with DC to MSSQL connection with standard out-of-box ODBC.

PDS/PDB ASE  ==> RS  =====>ECDA/DC==> RDS/RDB  MSSSQL

(Unix/Aix)    (Unix/Aix)     (Windows)                     (Windows)

Appreciate the clarification.

Thanks

Avinash