Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DS / Trace Query Calls to SAP BW

alexander_stettler
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

We have a Design Studio Application with bad performance on our productive system. Now we are wondering if there is a possibility to trace the query calls and the correlating filter or selection values of the calls in order to identify useless query execution time and in order to check if we could increase the performance with some special aggregates. Is there a possibility to make a trace for this case?

We are running our applications on a SAP BW 7.4 SPS8, BIP 4.1 SP6 and DS 1.5 SP1 Patch 0.

Best Regards,

Alex

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Alex - have you seen Martin Kolb's blogs to see if they help?

alexander_stettler
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Tammy,

The Measuring Performance Tip looks very interesting and helpful - thanks for that!

But is there also a possibility to track the query execution within the BW system with the information of selected filter and used characteristics? It would be also interesting if we could check if the aggregates on the BW system would be used correctly. Sure this is something we can also check query by query in transaction RSRT (execute -> debugging) but it would be interesting how this looks like in the context of the execution of the design studio application.

Best Regards,

Alex

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Alex - have you tried profiling?  See Karol's post

alexander_stettler
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Tammy,

Thanks for the additional hint: Profiling is very interesting regarding the processing parts of the Design Studio application. It helps me to understand the application steps. But I want to have a deeper look what the backend systems is doing when the application was opened.

The application here is calling the RFC RFC BICS_PROV_SUBMIT_VARIABLES 4 times, every request has a high backend runtime. I'm wondering how can I analyze this runtime steps within the backend system. I want to know which Query has been used, how many free characteristics has been used and I want to know if the backend aggregates of the info cubes has been used correctly.

Best Regards,

Alex

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Alexander,

if you wanted to fully trace the details, you would use transaction RSTT in BW to then trace and walk through the items step by step.

SUBMIT_VARIABLES is basically the step where variable values are being send to BW.

The fact that it shows 4 times somehow indicates that you are setting the variable values 4 times.

I would start looking at the Design Studio dashboard and first of all check where in the overall project are the variables been set. Ideally you use the "on variable initialization" part for this but I know that is not always possible. The other part - try to keep the script that sets the variables "close" to each other. if you execute the script right after each other - for example for 4 variables - it becomes one call in the backend.

also take a look what type of variable values you are sending. Are you sending key, internal key, or text values ?

In case you send text values then BW needs to resolve that first and get the key value - which might also be the reason for the high time

regards

Ingo Hilgefort, Visual BI

Answers (0)