cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clients or Company Codes

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I wanted your opinions/feedback on a question that we are facing on our project.

We have a large client with many customers... now we are trying to figure out from XI's point of view if it is better to have all of these customers on separate clients.... or to have them all on one client and simply have multiple company codes...

Our communication will mainly be SAP (IDOC, RFC, Proxy) to File with some webservices in the form of BAPI's. (we are looking at answers directed at how it would effect the development of XI interfaces)

Could you let me know what you think is best and why... Also if there are any articles that discuss this then a link would also be appreciated.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

So far I think Prabhu is the only person who understands what I am asking.

I know what clients are....

I want peoples feedback on what the impact is of having an XI setup with either one client or many clients (one for each customer)

Any answers regarding this would be helpful

prabhu_s2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

i dont think u will have impact....coz the config are independant of SAP cleints

Former Member
0 Kudos

OK thanks Prabhu,

Anybody please see my below statement for my opinion and correct me if Im wrong

My view is that more clients = harder to develop and maintain as especially with IDOC scenarios with one client you only need one comm. Channel which can be reused.. one RFC destination and one Port.... But I think with multiple clients you would have to set up all of the above for each client is that Correct?

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

have one client and multiple cutomers , bcz , multiple clients for multiple cutomers is bit tedious.

Regards

Chilla

Former Member
0 Kudos

Chilla,

LOL You have brightened up my day...

I like it straight and to the point... I have to say I agree...

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

prabhu_s2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

had seen a similar scenario with one customer having many clients in a business. thsi scenario was handeled by createing a SAP client for each the client of its customer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Prahbu,

How did that impact your development and maintenance of XI...

Obviously you would then need comm channels for each client etc am I right?.

Chilla,

This is an actual business requirement/discussion hence my interest in the subject...

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

Please try to understand the client in SAP

Clients are part of the defining technical structure of the SAP System. Each client contains its own master records and set of tables

See the below link

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/7e/c8189452c511d182c50000e829fbfe/content.htm

Regards

Chilla

<i>reward points if it is helpful</i>

Former Member
0 Kudos

Does anyone have any ideas on this at all?

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

Is it actual business requirement or your excercise..

see in a firm/erp all customers are under one client , you one client will be assinged to that erp and maitain the business , so many customers can have for

that firm .. this is in general business scenario...

I hope it is clear..

What do you mean by giving diffierent clients for different customers .. are they doing any thing ??

Regards

Chilla

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

see IDoc to file is one type of scenario, RFC to file , or BAPI to file or proxy to file , these type sceanarios, and you are telling webservices for BAPIs,

Can you please clear your requirement

see the below links related to above scenarios

/people/prateek.shah/blog/2005/06/08/introduction-to-idoc-xi-file-scenario-and-complete-walk-through-for-starters - IDoc to File

Consuming XI Web Services using Web Dynpro – Part I-/people/riyaz.sayyad/blog/2006/05/07/consuming-xi-web-services-using-web-dynpro-150-part-i

RFC -> XI -> WebService - A Complete Walkthrough (Part 2) -/people/shabarish.vijayakumar/blog/2006/03/28/rfc--xi--webservice--a-complete-walkthrough-part-2

Communication between SAP System & Webservice Using Proxies - /people/siva.maranani/blog/2005/05/23/communication-between-sap-system-webservice-using-proxies

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/b4b4bca6-0301-0010-79a1-febd416a...

Consuming XI Web Services using Web Dynpro – Part II-/people/riyaz.sayyad/blog/2006/05/08/consuming-xi-web-services-using-web-dynpro-150-part-ii

Consuming XI Web Services using Web Dynpro – Part I -https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/0d7349b6-0901-0010-ddbe-ec43178a61ff

/people/sap.user72/blog/2006/01/16/xi-propagation-of-meaningful-error-information-to-soap-client

/people/kevin.liu/blog/2006/04/12/wsdl-11-binding-extension-for-soap-12

yes it will be possible, see below links

/people/thomas.jung3/blog/2005/01/11/publishing-abap-webservices-to-an-external-uddi-server

/people/sap.user72/blog/2005/11/17/xi-how-to-publish-wsdl-generated-from-xi-to-uddi

/people/thomas.jung3/blog/2005/05/25/sap-teched-2005--shameless-plug

Troubleshooting SOAP Message - XI - /people/varadharajan.krishnasamy/blog/2007/01/09/troubleshooting-soap-message--xi

Troubleshooting - RFC and SOAP scenarios-/people/shabarish.vijayakumar/blog/2008/01/08/troubleshooting--rfc-and-soap-scenarios-updated-on-20042009

Regards

Chilla

Former Member
0 Kudos

My question doesn't really have anything to do with the scenarios... they are just to give you an idea of what we are implementing. The question was which is a more efficient system design and why.

1: Multiple Clients to XI

OR

2: Multiple Company Codes on one client to XI

Personally I feel that in the case of One client things should run more efficiently as you would only require one IDOC RFC, Port etc...

Also I think Users for RFC's will be easier to manage as there wont be as many using just one client... Is this the right way of thinking please let me know....

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Alex,

Can you give more details,

1. What do you mean to say, when you say should we have multiple lcients? One for each Customer?

2. What do you mean to say when you say Company Codes?

Normally, such data is maintained in a table in your R3 system / XI and then you use a RFC Lookup in your mapping to get the company code etc.

But, again all this depends on what is the end objective here.

Regards

Bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

it depends upon the data ,security level and if you are working and using one client then better to use with one client , this is administrative point , but where as business point of view once compny can have multiple customers , of course it depends upon the type of business.

in general multiple company codes under one client , i worked,

This is another approach mutiple clients to XI.

Regards

chilla

Former Member
0 Kudos

OK sorry let me be more clear...

We have over 100 customers... We are wandering if it is better to consolidate all of there data onto one client. So one client holds data for all customers.

Or

Is it better to give each customer its own client.

When using XI as our messaging tool which approach would be easier and more efficient to work with?

And

Why?

null