Did you mean: 

Unable to reset SYSTEM user's password in SYSTEM DB of SAP HANA SPS10 REV102

0 Kudos

Hello All,

I had installed the latest version of HANA database 1.0 SPS10 Revision

102. While trying to install ECC application in the database got the error

below error during Setup data

Hdbcmdout.log shows an error as below:

Tue Oct 06 22:24:42 AST 2015 | com.sap.hdb.sl.lib.connection.sql.JdbcConnection | Start new connection with connect URL: jdbc:sap://AFECCHANANP:30013 connect user: SYSTEM

Tue Oct 06 22:24:42 AST 2015 | com.sap.hdb.sl.lib.connection.sql.JdbcConnection | Instance is a multiple-container system.

Tue Oct 06 22:24:42 AST 2015 | com.sap.hdb.sl.lib.connection.sql.JdbcConnection | Start new connection with connect URL: jdbc:sap://AFECCHANANP:30013?databaseName=SYSTEMDB connect user: SYSTEM

Tue Oct 06 22:24:42 AST 2015 | com.sap.hdb.sl.lib.connection.sql.JdbcConnection | Password has changed for user: System

Tue Oct 06 22:24:42 AST 2015 | com.sap.hdb.sl.lib.connection.sql.JdbcConnection | Start new connection with connect URL: jdbc:sap://AFECCHANANP:30013 connect user: SYSTEM

Tue Oct 06 22:24:42 AST 2015 | com.sap.hdb.sl.lib.connection.sql.JdbcConnection | Instance is a multiple-container system.

Tue Oct 06 22:24:42 AST 2015 | com.sap.hdb.sl.lib.connection.sql.JdbcConnection | Start new connection with connect URL: jdbc:sap://AFECCHANANP:30013?databaseName=SYSTEMDB connect user: SYSTEM

Tue Oct 06 22:24:42 AST 2015 | com.sap.hdb.core.main.cmd.HdbCmdMain | Error during execution of HdbCmdClazz section!

Tue Oct 06 22:24:42 AST 2015 | com.sap.hdb.core.main.cmd.HdbCmdMain | com.sap.db.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc40.SQLInvalidAuthorizationSpecException: [10]: authentication failed

Tue Oct 06 22:24:42 AST 2015 | com.sap.hdb.core.main.cmd.HdbCmdMain | com.sap.hdb.sl.lib.connection.sql.JdbcConnection.establishConnection(JdbcConnection.java:191)

Tue Oct 06 22:24:42 AST 2015 | com.sap.hdb.core.main.cmd.HdbCmdMain | com.sap.hdb.sl.lib.connection.sql.JdbcConnection.connectToTenant(JdbcConnection.java:161)

Tue Oct 06 22:24:42 AST 2015 | com.sap.hdb.core.main.cmd.HdbCmdMain | com.sap.hdb.sl.lib.connection.sql.JdbcConnection.createConnection(JdbcConnection.java:116)

Tue Oct 06 22:24:42 AST 2015 | com.sap.hdb.core.main.cmd.HdbCmdMain | com.sap.hdb.sl.lib.connection.sql.JdbcConnection.getConnection(JdbcConnection.java:248)

Tue Oct 06 22:24:42 AST 2015 | com.sap.hdb.core.main.cmd.HdbCmdMain | com.sap.hdb.sl.lib.connection.sql.JdbcConnection.prepareSQLCommand(JdbcConnection.java:525)

Tue Oct 06 22:24:42 AST 2015 | com.sap.hdb.core.main.cmd.HdbCmdMain | com.sap.hdb.sl.lib.instance.DatabaseTenant.exists(DatabaseTenant.java:43)

Tue Oct 06 22:24:42 AST 2015 | com.sap.hdb.core.main.cmd.HdbCmdMain | com.sap.hdb.sl.lib.utils.cmd.clazz.GetConnectHostsAndPortsMultiDB.execute(GetConnectHostsAndPortsMultiDB.java:63)

Tue Oct 06 22:24:42 AST 2015 | com.sap.hdb.core.main.cmd.HdbCmdMain | com.sap.hdb.sl.lib.utils.cmd.clazz.BatchExecutionBase.executeCmdClazz(BatchExecutionBase.java:52)

Tue Oct 06 22:24:42 AST 2015 | com.sap.hdb.core.main.cmd.HdbCmdMain | com.sap.hdb.sl.lib.utils.cmd.clazz.GetConnectHostsAndPorts.execute(GetConnectHostsAndPorts.java:48)

Tue Oct 06 22:24:42 AST 2015 | com.sap.hdb.core.main.cmd.HdbCmdMain | com.sap.hdb.core.main.cmd.HdbCmdMain.execute(HdbCmdMain.java:113)

Tue Oct 06 22:24:42 AST 2015 | com.sap.hdb.core.main.cmd.HdbCmdMain | com.sap.hdb.core.main.cmd.HdbCmdMain.main(HdbCmdMain.java:74)

Tue Oct 06 22:24:42 AST 2015 | com.sap.hdb.core.main.cmd.HdbCmdMain | *************************************************************

As per the above error, looks like the System user password is changed and is not getting connected.
I also tried to connect to HANA studio with the same SYSTEM user and it was throwing the incorrect

user/password error though i gave the right credentials.

I then tried to Reset the SYSTEM User Password of the System Database

by following the below SAP help document:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_hanaplatform/helpdata/en/c0/1fc0f5d38c47c69204d84a700d0ca7/content.htm?f...

After following the procedure in the above document i changed the SYSTEM

user password. Now when am trying to connect to the hdbsql with the new password changed it throws me

the below error:

<Hostname>:/usr/sap/HDB/HDB00> hdbsql -i <Inst nr> -n <Host name> -d SystemDB - u SYSTEM

Password:

* 10: authentication failed SQLSTATE: 28000

I am also unable to connect to HANA SYSTEM DB in Hana Studio as well with

the SYSTEM USER. Kindly help me on this please.

Regards,

Krishna

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hello,

This was solved after setting the below parameter in nameserver.ini file and indexserver.ini file:

[password policy]

password_lock_for_system_user = false

Regards,

Krishna

Bojan-lv-85
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Krishna,

did you use the most recent SWPM version?

I am not sure how password_lock_for_system_user = false may be able to prevent an "authentication failed" error, as it clearly indicates that the user-credentials used are incorrect.

BR, Bojan

0 Kudos

Hello Bojan,

Yes i used the latest SWPM version SWMP10 SP09.

As i had mentioned earlier I even tried to reset System user password and tried to reconnect again with the new password but still had this issue.

It seems like there is a bug in this version of SWPM with respect to Application Installation in a MDC HANA environment, as i also faced another issue with respect to authentication of Schema user during the Import ABAP phase of the installation.

Regards,

Krishna

Bojan-lv-85
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Yes, I was just about to update my previous reply for anybody who reads this: Take a look at

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

mubarakshabna_asmi
Participant
0 Kudos

Krishna,

I have a similar issue in the context of migration of ECC to HANA. I am wondering if it has anything to do with HANA DB SSFS (2210637 - Change the encryption key of hdbuserstore).

Shabna

0 Kudos

Thanks Shabna for shedding some light on this issue.

Do you think SSFS is the reason why I am unable to change the SYSTEM user password?

Where you also unable to reset your SYSTEM password when you faced this issue during installation?

Also During the installation i selected the option of generating the individual key for the secure store of the SAP system. Does that got anything to do with this?

Regards,

Krishna

mubarakshabna_asmi
Participant
0 Kudos

Krishna,

My situation is a little different. I did not reset the password for SYSTEM because I was very sure of what I had given in sapinst and was able to login to HANA Studio with it.

Following note 2183624 - Potential information leakage using default SSFS master key in HANA (Section Explicit key change procedure) worked for me.

For now sapinst has moved forward.

Thanks

Shabna

0 Kudos

Hello Shabna,

The note was helpful!

As per the Note: 2183624 I first stopped the database, just included the cryptography parameter:

ssfs_key_file_path and then started the database and then i was able to connect to the database using the SYSTEM user. I was also able to connect from HANA Studio where it just asked to reset the SYSTEM user password which i did.

Then I ran the installation again with the old option and it crossed the error step and then i received another authentication failed error at the start of Import ABAP phase. I then terminated the installation and then started a fresh installation now and again I got the same error as I reported first at "setup database connection information" phase and am not able to connect with SYSTEM user again.

This time i completely followed the suggestions of note: 2183624 and still the same error persists for me.

I also tried to change the SSFS master keys for both the instance SSFS and the system PKI SSFS as suggested in the below help link but the same error still persists for me:

https://help.sap.com/saphelp_hanaplatform/helpdata/en/58/1593c48739431caaccc3d2ef55c23f/frameset.htm

Am i missing out on something. Kindly help me on this. Thanks again.

Regards, Krishna