cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to connect Microsoft Power BI Desktop to SAP BW

0 Kudos

Hi all,

I'm able to make a connection between MS Excel and SAP BW InfoCubes / BEx queries via the connection wizard in Excel. I think Excel sets up an ODBC connection between itself and SAP BW.

I'm trying to set up such an ODBC connection between Microsoft Power BI Desktop and SAP BW, but I'm having trouble getting a server response.

Can anyone guide me through the requirements / connection string I need to use in order to set up an ODBC connection between Power BI Desktop and SAP BW? Unfortunately we do not have the SAP Netweaver Gateway running in our company, so this is not an option.

Many thanks in advance!

Erwin

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Schoonderwoerd

Microsoft Power BI team has just recently introduced the preview of connecting directly to the underlying BEx query on top of Infoproviders .

You can download the March version update of Power BI Desktop and follow the steps mentioned in this Document that I have posted recently .

Hope that helps.

Thanks

Vinay

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member671855
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Have you installed the SAP NetWeaver library on your PC? Make sure the architecture for the SAP NetWeaver library (32-bit or 64-bit) matches your Power BI Desktop installation, then install all files included in the SAP NetWeaver RFC SDK according to the SAP Note.

In other words, when you use 64 bit Power BI Desktop, you would need to install 64 bit SAP NetWeaver library, when you use 32 bit Power BI Desktop, you would need to install 32 bit SAP NetWeaver library. Also ensure that you use the latest version of Power BI Desktop, which is available in this link.