Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navigating up and down hierarchy

james_batchelor2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

All,

I am attempting to do drill up and down within a BW hierarchy on a chart.

Setting it up to drill down the hierarchy is fine, but stepping back up is a challenge..unless I am missing something...or some trick.

I have everything set so the chart starts at the top.

Clicking on the chart, filters on the node, and expands that node 1 level.

This works all the to the bottom.

However, how can I back up one level at any given time?  I have a reset button to set the chart back to the top..

so going down:

click

Level 1a

Level 1b

Click on Level 1a you get

Level 1a

Level 2a

Level 2b

Level 2c

Ideally if the user clicks on Level 1a in this chart, it should go back up one level  (or an up arrow button, BACK, etc..)

But I cannot figure out how to set the filter to the Node directly above

I thought maybe bookmarks, but I do not want to set the whole app back one step, just this chart/dataset

This is not obvious to me at all..

thanks for any ideas

james

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

james_batchelor2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks everyone,

I know there is hesitation with deploying custom solutions...because of maintenance going forward..

I will see where this goes.  If the end user really want this type of feature, we will do what it is needed.

james

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello James,

this has already been done for you. Our Chat extensions are capable of drilling into hierarchies or multiple dimensions.

http://visualbi.com/sap-design-studio/dsx-extensions/

regards

Ingo

MustafaBensan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi James,

You may find the blog Implementing a Dynamic Hierarchy Filter relevant to your scenario.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Mustafa.

mike_howles4
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I agree that Mustafa's post on the topic is a great start.  You could also try to build a 'drill history' using a global string variable and appending a ",node_value" at the end and employing the split command in BIAL to "reverse course" so to speak, possibly.