cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAPGUI for Windows keep prompting SAP Software Update

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have an installation server to distribute SAPLogon to users. We are using SAPGUI 7.30 Patch 14.

Users keep having multiple prompts to SAP Software Update "Do you wish to update the SAP products installed on your computer?" even after successful update and restarts of the computer.

Users have checked and the patch level has been updated, but don't understand the subsequent multiple prompts to update.

May I know how to stop the multiple prompts?

Thank you.

regards,

zl

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

marcel_jochum
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi there,

we have the same problem after upgrading the workstation from a new SAP GUI Server.

We updated from 7.30 to 7.40 and now we are receiving multiple update prompts on the Client.

Automatic Workstation Update Service is configured in the package we rolled out.

So the Client should be up to date. Also the Share User rights are correct on the Installation Server.

Any help would be very nice!

Best Regards,

Marcel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello ZL,

Please check following link,

I hope this helps you in your issue.

Regards

Anand

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anand,

Thanks for the link. but my issue is users' computer keep getting prompt to SAP Software Update even though user computer already updated to the latest patch.

there's no issue with patching the installation server.

May I know how to stop the multiple prompts?

Thank you.

regards,

zl

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi ZL,

In the thread that Anand linked, towards the end, there is a discussion of symptoms very similar to what you are describing, and that's why he linked it. In that case, the problem was two-fold: first, sapsetup needed to be patched, and not just the gui; and second, there was a problem with share permissions on the installation server, so that users' workstations had problems connecting to apply the patch, so they kept getting prompted.

Anyway, make sure you have also fully patched sapsetup and not just sapgui. Then, if  you are using the Distribution Service (because users don't have local admin rights on their workstations), there may be some additional checks you need to do to ensure the IS user on the workstation can properly access the share.

Cheers,

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your post.

May I check with you, if the user patch update is not successful, will the patch level in "About SAP Logon" updated?

regards,

zl

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In that case, I would think that the 'About' page would not show the updated patch level. So, my first suggestion is make sure that sapsetup is patched on the server.

Then, once you've done that, you need to investigate the logs on one of the problem client workstations to see what's going on. The logs are found in C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP\SapSetup\LOGs. Have a look through those for any errors.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I checked on user workstation, the 'About' page show the correct patch level.

Looking at the logs files, log 09 show "Process ../update has finished"

log 08 and log 06 prompt user for updates.

I'm puzzled. help.

Attached the 3 log files.

regards,

zl

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi ZL,

I can't quite tell what the issue is from the logs, but I do see a couple things for you to check out further.

First, off you are using SAPSetup patch 62. That should be ok, but there is a later patch available from the SMP (patch 68), so I would recommend downloading it and applying it to your installation server with NwSapSetupAdmin. Bear in mind there is a warning from Note 1587566 (Installation problems with SapSetup version 9.0) that patch 64 and higher no longer support Windows XP, so if you still have XP clients using this installation server, then you shouldn't update yet. However, from the log of the workstation you sent, I can see that this workstation at least is running Windows 8, so that shouldn't be an issue.

The second item I see is that your installation package, ACMSAPGUI730, contains quite a lot of the optional SAPGUI components. For instance, it seems to have both SAP Logon Pad and SAP Logon, which is redundant (you only need one or the other, depending on your requirements), plus everything in the R/3 Add-On and General Add-On, BW Add-On, KW Add-On, and Legacy Components, among other things. Unless you actually use all those various components from your typical user workstation, you are better off not installing them. My recommendation is to pare the package down to the minimum of components actually required. For instance, the package I distribute (which I call 'Basic') has only the following:

• SAP GUI for Windows 7.30 (Compilation 3)
    • SAP GUI Suite
      • SAP GUI
      • SAP Logon
      • GUI XT (and you might not need this, but we do for some users)
  • SAP Automatic Workstation Update
    • SAPSetup Automatic Workstation Update Service
  • SNC Client Encryption (and you might not need this one, either, depending on your requirements)
    • Channel Encryption Part

I also have a second package, installed on only those workstations that need it, that installs SAP GUI Scripting (part of SAP GUI Suite). That's the only component in it, as it's intended to be an "add-on" to the 'Basic' package.

This keeps the installation smaller, faster, and much, much easier to troubleshoot. It's also far fewer problems, as some of those extra rarely-used components are problematic, or have their own odd non-SAP prerequisites in Windows (for example, you are trying to install IshMed and JNet, both of which require things that aren't present on your workstation, so they don't install -- these might be the problem components for you). If you don't actually use them, don't install them, is my advice.

My guess is that the problematic component that doesn't successfully update is one of those old legacy ones that you probably don't need. So, just remove it.

In the log I see this:

13:25:38 NwAWUServc  1E  Update from \\Acmadm04\sapgui\Setup finished, but updates are still available.

13:25:38 NwAWUServc  1E  Failure in updating workstation

So, that tells me that the installer keeps trying to update components available in the package on the server but not up-to-date (or perhaps even installed) on the workstation. Almost certainly these are components like IshMed and JNet that won't install because you don't have the non-SAP prerequisites on the workstation.

--Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

I will try to streamline my package. Thank you for your advice.

regards,

zl