cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time Profile Recommendation

0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I would like to gather your recommendations/experience about time profile horizon.

We are planning to create a new time profile with entries until 2030/12/31, or even further...

Do you see any sizing/performance issue that could raise up from such a time profile configuration?

Thanks for your input.

Regards

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Irmi_Kuntze
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Dear Philippe

you can do that, impact on sizing depends on something else:

Sizing / performance depends on how many keyfigures for how many planning combination you have initialized or loaded values

Just loading time profile for a longer period is only one more table you fill, that does not hurt

But if you have a job that runs initialization for 5 Years into the future for all your products and customer for all your customer, that would definetly not be a good idea

Or if you would load data 5 years into the future, would be bad for performance, but usually you don't have that many data for future

Make sure for both loading of e.g. actuals or FC from other systems, that you only load what you need at the moment, and that you run initialization for as few periods as possible

Kind regards

Irmi

0 Kudos

Thanks Irmi for your detailed answer, as always.

That is mainly what I expected, i.e. no impact.

Laslty, I am feeling a bit dumb... but what do you mean by initialization?!

Regards.

Irmi_Kuntze
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Thanks for the flowers

How do you achieve that you can enter for an editable key figure that is not loaded, that you can edit it?

Two ways:

Either you have another key figure in your view that is on the same planning level and loaded / has some data

Or you "initialize" it = create an (empty) entry on the data base for a specific month for the specific key figure

For example you have all your actuals on imaginable planning level PERPRODCUSTSALESORG, but you have a key figure in which you manually want to enter your forecast on the different level PERPRODSALESORG on which there is no other key figure loaded / maintained for a new planning combination. Than if you don't load anything and don't "initialize" , and you only show the one key figure, you will get message "no data found". And if you display this key figure together with others, and you try to maintain and save, you will get error message that you can only enter values when planning combination exist. I am pretty sure you had seen that already

For "initialization", there is special copy operator parameter (check model config guide http://help.sap.com/download/ibp/ibp40_model_ref_en.pdf for the parameters in copy operator, you will find the parameter with description CREATE_TIMESERIES or similar, you'll find it)

If you set the Parameter on X, your target key figure, no source key figure needed, and the duration to a hopefully very small value, than you will create this initial-values on the database. It will show up as blank, but it is a "different" blank than if really nothing is in. If there WAS a value in before, it will overwrite by initial (so be careful). With that, you will be able to enter data and save.

So to say, the system distinguished between value "initial" saved on data base I a specific cell and really completely nothing

Hope that helps

Irmi

0 Kudos

Woow, happy to finally have an answer to this strange system behaviour! It helps to demystify a lot of things.

I hope my question will be clear, but what is your recommendation regarding "CREATE_TIMESERIES" operator? Is it something that you schedule periodically at the beginning of a planning cycle? Or rather a one time run that you manually trigger just before go-live?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but initialization is mostly relevant for new planning combinations that are only manually created via the Excel UI, right?

Irmi_Kuntze
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

probably it is worth having an own post on this at it may be interesting for others as well?

HOwever, yes, mainly for

a) new combination that have been created manually

or

b) if sou have more than one planning lev l for kf that are editable (eg prices)

ANswer depends on your way of creation of planning combination. First lay out the process, than think how you can best support it

And consider that you could have input kf that check if the Target has already a value, so you dont overwrite

THere is not the one besser concept 🙂

Irmi

Answers (0)