cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to define area based capacity in SAP WM?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I had configured basic WM is working without capacity requirement, strategy type ‘L” – Next Empty Bin.

Now my client requirement is to do automatic bin selection based on cartoon size. All bins are almost

of same size but size of cartoons differs from article to article.

For example:-

Bin Size= 20 cm x 20 cm x 20 cm = Total Area = 800 cm

Cartoons Sizes is 05 cm x 05 cm x 05 cm = Total Area = 75 cm

I bin can accommodate = 800/75 = 10.6 Cartoons.

1. Can you pl. guide where is can put volume based capacity for bin??
  2. Guide what is use of “capacity usage” Field in Material master??

At present i am not using SU Management for storage type.

Waiting for reply,

Umesh Ligade.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

prabakaran_gurusamy2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

SUT active at WH and Storage type level:

if cartoon size varies based on article(material number), the only way is do to capacity check based on SUT ( Activate Capacity check at storage type - 5 - Usage check based on SUT).

System calculate capcity check  based on size of SUT automatically. you also should run report RLS10200 to adjust the occupied capacities for bins.

SUT  is not active at WH and Storage type level:

If your warehouse is not SUT active, it may not be good idea to activate it now. Only way is to do manual capacity check. You can change put away strategy to fixed bix(like dummy bin '000'). So TO gets created with bin '000'. Before TO confirmation, warehouse user can change/select bin manually based on capacity and can do TO confirmation.

Thanks and Regards,

Prabakaran Gurusamy

mihailo_sundic
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ulmesh,

You cannot use SUT capacity check, since you don't have SU active for that Storage Type.

But you noticed the right functionality for your case. You can use capacity check based on material.

That means that you can assign a certain capacity usage by material (per base UoM), e.g. you can set it as your volume per carton.
Then you can assign capacity to a storage bin in LS02(N).

When you activate this check in storage type settings, the system will calculate the number of cartons - if that's your base UoM, and multiply it by the capacity usage you set on your material master WM view 1 and look up if it's lower or equal than your bin capacity.

Example:
Bin 1 - has capacity of 10.
Material 1 - capacity usage of 3 per carton (which is base UoM).

When you try to putaway 3 cartons in bin 1, the system will accept (3x3 = 9 <= 10), but if you try to putaway 4 cartons (3x4 = 12) it will decline since it's > 10 (bin 1 capacity).

Not sure if I explained it easy enough to understand, so feel free to ask if you have some questions about this.