Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email alert for Failing printouts

former_member183953
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

How do I setup and email alert for failing invoice printouts in SP01? I dont intend to use solution Manager for this. Is there a way on ECC itself to do this? I would like to send status email to business on completion on invoice prints or to support group in case print-outs fails due to problem in printer or spool server. I tried Rz20/Rz21 but no luck.

Any pointers , advise ?

Thanks

Vikas

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Laszlo_B
Advisor
Advisor

Hello Vikas,

as far as I know there is no out-of-the-box solution for this.

However, you can use these steps to create an alert e-mail:

• in transaction SPAD open the Output Device for editing
  • under tab "Output Attributes" enable the flag "Monitor using monitoring architecture"
  • after saving this Output Device the following Monitoring Tree Element will appear in transaction RZ20:
    RZ20 -> SAP CCMS Monitor Templates -> Spool System -> Spool System -> Spool Servers -> <SID+host> -> Spool -> Devices -> <short name of the flagged Output Device>.

Now if you make a print test with this Output Device, and this printout will fail, an alert will be displayed in this RZ20 monitor.

You can create an e-mail auto-reaction as SAP Note #617547 - RZ20: Sending alerts as mail and SMS writes.

However, this solution needs to be thorougly tested. R/3 might try to automatically reprint some spools, and if the reprints will also fail, they might also generate RZ20 alerts (and e-mails), which might mean a backfire of the original purpose.

Other than this, these steps might be tested.

Best regards,

Laszlo

former_member183953
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Laszlo,

Thanks for your reply. I followed the steps you mentioned. Then i failed some printouts on particular output device.See screenshot

After that under RZ20-->Spool-Devices, i still see my output device green without any alerts.

So am i missing something?

Thanks

Vikas

Laszlo_B
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Vikas,

I have just made a quick test and it seems "Waiting" status in SP01 does not trigger a message in RZ20.

Instead, a message will be triggered when the status will be "Error".

One last thing which can be tested is whether the spools with "Waiting" status will appear in e.g. the LPQ_Time MTE after too much time has passed (although this would mean that the alert e-mail will not be sent immediately).

Best regards,

Laszlo

former_member183953
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Laszlo,

thanks for your reply.

I want to simulate the scenario with spool output to "Error", How can i do that?

If i change the printer hostname to incorrect,  spool don't error, instead it went to "waiting". Even after waiting 3 days, it did not change to error.

Thanks

Vikas

Laszlo_B
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Vikas,

I have created an Output Device with Access Method S. (Access Method S means remote printing with the SAPSPrint program.)

In this Output Device the target host was correct but for the target printer I have entered an invalid name.

Thus when I have printed a spool with this Output Device, the SAPSPrint reported back an invalid printer name, which has been logged with an "Error" status in SP01.

Best regards,

Laszlo

former_member183953
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Laszlo,

I could get the error in spool but still that error did not appear in Rz20. The output device there is still green and says "No value has yet been reported"

Thanks

Vikas

Laszlo_B
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Vikas,

if I am not mistaking this means that the data collector has not yet received any useful data to process / display in RZ20.

If the situation is still not better today (12. Oct), you can start a Discussion in the http://scn.sap.com/community/netweaver-administrator Space, where RZ20 monitoring-related questions are usually discussed.

Best regards,

Laszlo

Answers (0)