cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packing not possible since there is no quantity to be packed

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

When i try to post inbound delivery referencing ASN through IDOC i am getting following error message:

Packing not possible since there is no quantity to be packed

could you please help us on what cases the above error will be getting populated from SAP.

Thanks & Regards,

Chandar.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have only seen that error message when the item(s) the potential update would pack are in fact already packed in the delivery document. The first thing I would check is to see if somehow the material that should be packed during the update is already packed somehow, assuming it is already packed the second step is to determine how it was packed before the system update to pack it was triggered. To resolve the issue in the existing examples the step would simply be to manually unpack the item(s) in question to allow the update to complete.

The message is just saying the update is failing because what the update wants to pack isn't there, so it's either packed already or perhaps somehow removed or quantity reduced so its no longer available to pack.

Hope this helps

EDIT: or perhaps there could even be some dependency between the data in the IDOC and the data in the inbound delivery. Let's say the IDOC wants to update batch "B" but the delivery has Batch "A" (some issue like that perhaps) if batch B is not available to pack you may see that error

prabakaran_gurusamy2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

It is difficult to say without knowing idoc structure. Does idoc has storage location? if yes, does your storage location is handling unit managed? if your storage location is HU managed,  does your idoc have packing details? or do you have automatic packing record for your materials?

Thanks and Regards,

Prabakaran Gurusamy

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

does it work if you create the inbound delivery via transaction instead of IDoc?

the answer to this question could potentially limit the options and helps to focus, e.g. if it would be a customizing/master data issue  as this would affect manual creation as well as IDOC.

Or if the error only happens with the IDoc, then there is probably something missing in the IDOC.

if use the message number in SE91 and click the where-used  you end up in function module HU_PACKING_AND_UNPACKING where this error is issued on three statements.

Check in debugging which of the 3 cases causes your issue.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Issue is happening only with creating through IDOC also not happening for all IDOC's among ten in one couldnt figured out to find out the issue

Former Member
0 Kudos

first time its failing with Packing not possible since there is no quantity to be packed message when it runs with next time

when we check in segment its showing as

Error while generating packaging data

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This is already a good path forward, now compare an IDoc which failed with an IDoc that posted successfully and see how they differ.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

we have try comparing the successful & failed IDOC but unable to identify the Root cause of the issue.

please advice

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

How should I be able to analyze it without knowing the difference?

Do you want to say that this error happens even it is the same material? the same quantity? the same unit? the same vendor? Really no difference?