Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Size discrepency

Mofizur
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I came across a strange issue regarding DB backup size.If I run the Standard Report from SQL Server Studio it gives me the size as 139 GB but the actual file size is of 53 GB.

How ever in DB02 it shows the size same as the standard report.But if the physical size of the file it is 55 GB.

I know that we are taking the compressed backup.Here my question how is the standard report and DB02 calcualting the backup size? Does it mean that DB02/Standard SQL Report is giving us the uncompressed backup size? Any documentation to confirm this please?

Thanks,

Mofizur

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That sounds about right.... simply check if the compress tick is set in DB13, or if you are doing external backups then the command shoud have the compress switch on. Also helpful, see the db backup logs and check for the switch.

Regards, Juan

Mofizur
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Juan Ryes,

I just ran a manual UNCOMPRESSED backup from SQl Server Studio and I can see now the DB02,OS level physical file size and Standard SQL Report give me the same size.

That means the DB02 & Standard SQL report gives the uncompressed backup size irrespective of the compression related settings.

Thanks,

Mofizur

Answers (0)