Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do HANA parameters are case sensitive

former_member17108
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Dear Friends,

I have query related to HANA Log Mode parameter. To understand is this parameter is case sensitive ?

1. 1. I have set Log Mode  parameter as OVERWRITE  , automatic log backup was enabled (Though this parameter show in disabled state after setting in Overwrite mode) and bounced HANA DB.

In this case, it generated the archive log files in /hana/log-backup/* , Means OVERWRITE parameter was not adapted.

1. 2. I have disabled  automatic log backup, set log mode parameter as  OVERWRITE  and bounced HANA DB.

In this case,  it has generated log segment files in /hana/log/mnt*/* ,  means OVERWRITE parameter was not adapted.

When I set OVERWRITE mode in small letters “overwrite” then the overwrite mode was adapted by HANA.

Regards,

Sahil

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

In general upper and lower case shouldn't matter for parameters and values, see SAP Note 2186744 (12). I just tested and log_mode is an exception. I got the following error in the indexserver trace file:

Unknown log mode OVERWRITE specified, value not changed

I just discussed with SAP HANA development and they consider to change this unfortunate behavior in a future SAP HANA Revision.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Explorer
0 Kudos

According to standards better to follow using Lower case. As Lower case works for sure.

Just for example:

I set below parameter with C,S,C capital by editing the global.ini file, still it reflects the correct value in studio .

sslCreateSelfSignedCertificate=true

But when someone try to search parameter in global.ini through OS level he will try to search with sslcreateselfsignedcertificate(all lower case) as shown in studio and he might miss the value(if grep -i not given). so better to use lower case or always follow lower case for setting parameters in HANA.