cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Load (DTP) taking over 6h to start

0 Kudos

Hi guys,

I'm having some trouble with BW loads. The DTPs are taking over 6 hours to start. Once they start, then each package goes really quickly, in a few seconds. The trouble is the first package. I have searched high and low for anything like this and haven't been able to find an explanation. I have included an example below, but this is happening to most DTPs. Not all of them have start routines or such things that could explain this slow process. Also, from what I gathered from the users, these loads happened normally up until a couple of months ago. Basis team has run checks and believes the system to be normal. I have checked indexes for the cubes involved and everything seems to be working fine. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

sander_vanwilligen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Luisa,

Based on your information it seems to me a system-wide problem. You should try to find out what was changed a couple of months ago. I expect that it will be related to SAP Basis settings.

I suggest to involve SAP right away by creating an SAP Support message.

Best regards,
Sander

0 Kudos

Hi Sander,

I have asked for them to open a ticket but it is apparently a last resource, which is why I tried first here. If we can't find any solution on our side, I will definetly open a SAP ticket. Thanks for the help!    

sander_vanwilligen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Luisa,

I suggested to involve SAP Support because your company is paying a lot of money for their support. So better use it and don't wait with it. Such issues might take time to solve. The earlier the clock starts, the sooner a solution will be expected.

It can be of course a parallel track, next to trying to solve it yourself together with SAP Basis.

Are you able to trace back when exactly the issue popped up? If yes, are you able to trace back any special actions or occasions around that time, e.g. SP upgrade, release upgrade, SAP Notes in the area of DTP implemented, system parameters or technical configuration changed by SAP Basis, any database patches or new version implemented, any OS patches or new version implemented, ...

Try together with SAP Basis to dive into the system history to find anything that could be linked to the start of the issue.

Furthermore, you should plan a monitoring session during office hours so that SAP Basis can monitor the system during one DTP which is showing the strange delay. They have to monitor not only SAP but also database, OS, evaluate every log available, etc.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Best regards,

Sander

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear,

While you trigger such load, look at what is going on in SM66? There might be other processes which are not letting this load to trigger thus waiting unless it finds a free process to be used.

It looks to be associated with Basis...

Thanks & Regards,

M

randy_plunkett
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Luisa, were you able to find a solution to the slow DTP load ?

I've got the same symptom on a DTP load from one standard DSO to another. It takes a long time before it loads the first package (at least 2 hours) and then once the first one is done the rest of the packages load quickly. Its not system wide, however, its just this one DTP load.

BW 7.30 SP 4

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Randy,

we also had same problem earlier.

Reason:

1. Only this happens which you try to load/ extract the data from MP (since you have lot of info providers so it will take lot of time to trigger ) to any other data target

2. when you try to load data from one provider to another without any selections and if you have huge amount of data in your source data target

Regards,

Chandrasekhar Reddy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Luisa,

Do you using "Serial Extraction, Immediate Parallel Processing" as Processing Mode in DTP's Execute tab?

If yes, DTP can not grouping the records and will read all of them with the first package.

To avoid this: use "Semantic Groups" on Extraction tab and issue will leave off.

Hope it helps, br, Andras

0 Kudos

Hi guys,

We have removed from schedule and then rescheduled, to see if that changed the loads somehow, but this hasn't worked. We are going to open a SAP ticket.

Thanks for the help, if we find the cause of the problem I'll keep everyone posted.

RamanKorrapati
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

During your DTP load time, have any other loads are triggered?

Recently any DB updates or oss note updates happend?

During your load time please check/observe System load balance at SM50/51.

Can you try to reactivate your transformations/dtp/targets thru prorgams.

Have free application servers and retrigger your dtp.

Thanks

0 Kudos

Hi Ramanjaneyulu,

I checked in SM50 and nothing else was going on in the system at the same time.

I can try to reactivate the DTPs later on tonight, but they are always running so I'm having a hard time finding a space of time to do this, only in the middle of the night!

I have tried to remove PC from schedule and reschedule, maybe this way I will have a better time to try the reactivation. I will let you know when I do this.

fcorodriguezl
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Luisa!

I agree with Rama, sounds like something is working during your load.

Check your process when is runining, maybe the same process chain run other node.

Luck.

Regards.

0 Kudos

Hi Francisco,

I've checked and nothing else is running. All background processes are clear, only the specific load that is running at the time is happening, with processes to spare.

Thanks for the tip though!