cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Out of Memory?

vernonrobinson
Explorer
0 Kudos

I am trying to create a report consisting of primarily pictures.  I am using Visual Studio 2013 and VB.Net.  I have placed the Picture control in the report and I am changing the picture by changing the path via the Graphic Location. I have reduced the image sizes down to 1200 x 900 pixels.  I am disposing of the report at the end of the run.  However, my problem seems to be that the Picture control stops showing the pictures during the creation of the report.  Please see attached screenshot.  I am watching memory consumption via Task Manager.  Once memory usage gets around  800 MB  for the application, then the application will fail with an OutOfMemory Exception.  Is there a way to tell Crystal Reports to release the memory for a page once it is no longer being displayed?  How do you best handle creating a Catalogue of Pictures using Crystal?

Thanks,

-Vernon

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

vernonrobinson
Explorer
0 Kudos

Any ideas on how to best handle this?

Thanks,

-Vernon

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vernon

Do you have to use Picture control?

Perhaps you could use the following instead?

1320507 - How to change images dynamically in Crystal Reports based on parameter selection?

And do make sure you are using SP 15 which released last week.

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow me on Twitter

vernonrobinson
Explorer
0 Kudos

Ludek,

Thanks for the response.  I am not sure what control to use to display the pictures if I do not use the Ole Object to display pictures.  What are the other choices?

Right now I have taken the following steps.  I have two sets of thumbnails.  The first set is sized at 200x150 pixels.  This is used for internal  program display.  I created another set of thumbs at 1200x900 pixels to use for reporting.  I also make a call to garbage collection before starting Crystal Reports for Visual Studio.  This seems to be working.  But now I have two sets of thumbnails to manage.

Where can I get SP15?  And does that have any effect on the Visual Studio product?

-Vernon

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

SP 15 is here:

A number of fixes and supports VS 2015.

- Ludek

vernonrobinson
Explorer
0 Kudos

For more information, I am able to run this report in the standalone version of Crystal Reports with no issues.  Memory utilization in the Standalone version never goes above 110 Megabytes where as the Visual Studio Version will go to 800 - 1000 Megabytes.