cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

filesystem /usr/sap/SID full

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Recently, we had an issue that filesystem /usr/sap/SID is full. Upon investigation, we noticed that audit log files (.AUD) under /usr/sap/SID/DVEBMGSnn/log consumes too much space. My question now:

1. Is there a standard job that do the housekeeping of these audit files?

2. Can we delete these audit files manually?

Thank you in advance!!!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can delete them in SM18, and can schedule this as a periodic job if appropriate. You can also just delete the files directly in the file system - nothing will mind. The SM20 report only looks at files that exist and doesn't notice any that might have been deleted.

Before you do anything with the audit logs, though, you should check with the business, and especially your auditors, how long they should be retained for. The answer might be longer than you think.

Personally I don't delete them at all, but I do compress them after a while. They are plain text files and so compress very well. If anybody needs to look that far back I can just uncompress them again.

Steve.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

cris_hansen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Philip,

Just to add a few to Steve's answer, you can also limit the file size for each audit file (SAP note 539404, Q/A 28).

You can move the files to another filesystem (compress them beforehand).

You can always read old SAL files using report RSAU_SELECT_EVENTS.

My 2 cents,

Cris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Although of course if you limit the file size, your audio log is then incomplete...

Steve.