cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

running Oracle on SATA disk drives

Former Member
0 Kudos

We need to replace our existing SAN that holds all our Oracle databases (R3, CRM, BW). A suggestion was made that we go with a device containing SATA disks instead of scsi disks as reliability and throughput are becomming more equal.

Is there anyone that is currently running Oracle on SATA drives and if so, what are your experiences?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the input. The numbers that I've seen for throughput indicates that sata sans have made a big improvement over the past several years. Whatever the hype one gets from the disk/san manufacturers doesn't mean too much as a lot is marketing. It's always best to get feedback from those that are using the technology in a similar manner that you use.

Thanks again.

Former Member
0 Kudos

That is very true, both performance and reliability of ATA drives improved in recent past. They are becoming popular because of their low per MB cost. Lot of companies trying to implement tape less enterprise backup solutions using SATA SANs. Almost all SAN vendors offering SATA variants of their products. You also have an option to use FATA (i.e.,) ATA on fibre which has even better performance.

Thanks

Akshay

former_member618758
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Oracle on SATA or SCSI which is better is still an open debate, neither is really better than the other, Since SCSI is much more expensive, if you have plan for a large SAN or later increase to big size, you might consider in cost by choosing SATA. We have a few customers using oracle on SATA already I haven't seen yet any significant drawback.

Hope this answered your question.

George

Former Member
0 Kudos

Oracle does not notice wether it's using SCSI or SATA disks.

As we are discussing enterprise application class issues I assume that disks for the database are not place in the servers but outside and connected via SAN to the servers.

In this environment you are normaly interested in following topics:

1. Performance figures

2. Quality

3. Costs

Disk protocol is a less important question if 1. and 2 are the same and 3. is promissed to be the same. It is very important to compare the performance of the complete disk subsystem and not the numbers of a single disk.

But please keep in mind that meanwhile most SATA disks have a much higher capacity than the typically used SCSI disks. All this will result in less spindles...

Peter