cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basically new to SAP - Your Suggestions

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

I am practically new to the world of SAP, what I know of it is basically what you might see in a University level class, user-level. I am acquiring knowledge and experience to become an RFID consultant, I already have enough hardware knowledge/experience, but it seems obvious that I must learn at least some basics of SAP's variety of systems, applications, etc., as I will have to deal with integrating my solutions with customer's existing software systems.

While I could just look for a pre-packed solution or a partner in this, I really want to learn enough about SAP to have a conversation with the person responsible for the system at a given customer's site. I wanted to get your opinion on what topics I should learn more about, what books/courses/e-learning you recommend, and finally if I should consider any certifications that would make sense, I don't think I would have to become an "SAP developer", just somebody with better than average knowledge to allow me to stand out from other RFID consultants.

All of your comments/suggestions are very welcomed.

Thank you,

Mark Ralston

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

There are two ways you can view SAP. Functional and Technical. I suggest you take up the technical side of it. There are various modules present. see where you are good at, programming/logic-ing. if you are good at programming you can choose ABAP which is not very difficult language. there is a huge pool of documentation as to how SAP(product) functions and how are organizations use them

If you are good at java you can go for customization of SAP custom application which are customized for the organization(who generally buy this product from SAP) to use them more efficiently. in this case you can go for SAP Netweaver EP or MI-front end development.

i dont think you need to know SAP to get into this field. Java experts work in SAP for customization.

also dig down deep into SDN and Help portals for more details

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn for SAP Developer Network (SDN): Downloads, Discussions, eLearning, and Documentation for Developers

http://help.sap.com a complete help portal.

-

As a basic start:

SAP, started in 1972 by five former IBM employees in Mannheim, Germany, states that it is the world's largest inter-enterprise software company and the world's fourth-largest independent software supplier, overall.

The original name for SAP was German: Systeme, Anwendungen, Produkte, German for "Systems Applications and Products." The original SAP idea was to provide customers with the ability to interact with a common corporate database for a comprehensive range of applications. Gradually, the applications have been assembled and today many corporations, including IBM and Microsoft, are using SAP products to run their own businesses.

SAP applications, built around their latest R/3 system, provide the capability to manage financial, asset, and cost accounting, production operations and materials, personnel, plants, and archived documents. The R/3 system runs on a number of platforms including Windows 2000 and uses the client/server model. The latest version of R/3 includes a comprehensive Internet-enabled package.

SAP has recently recast its product offerings under a comprehensive Web interface, called mySAP.com, and added new e-business applications, including customer relationship management (CRM) and supply chain management (SCM).

As of January 2007, SAP, a publicly traded company, had over 38,4000 employees in over 50 countries, and more than 36,200 customers around the world. SAP is turning its attention to small- and-medium sized businesses (SMB). A recent R/3 version was provided for IBM's AS/400 platform.

-

Former Member
0 Kudos

you can choose to work on Backend: building of tables and administration

Middleware: building of Business object, usually written in ABAP

Client: cleint coding or customization.

ant task in SAP is viewed as transaction.

hope this helps. all the best.

Regards

divya

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the points dude

how did you plan then? how are you starting?

Message was edited by:

Divya Sarraju