cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SLD Setup

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Our production SLD is configured on solution manager production system. We have recently upgraded our dev solution manager to 7.1. Since we need to upgrade our prod solman to 7.1 soon, we need to do a synce from production SLD to dev SLD so our ECC production is not interrupted. What's the best way to do it? Shall we use LMDB sync with SLD? Since both systems and SLDs are on a different level now can we still sync? Please suggest which approach to follow?

Regards,

SJ

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi SJ,

My recommendation is to build a standalone SLD and migrate your SLD content to it. That way, there will be no interruption to productive activity that depends on it while you perform your SolMan upgrade. Another advantage of this route is that you can use a much newer SLD version (i.e. NW 7.4 instead of NW 7.02), and this newer version (which is fully backwards compatible) has much better SLD-to-SLD synchronization capabilities.

I talk about the entire process of migrating from SolMan SLD to standalone SLD in my (now getting a bit old) blog , with links to the relevant SAP documentation.

The content migration process itself is detailed in:

and

Then, moving the satellite system data suppliers to the new SLD is detailed at

Basically, you'll install/configure the new SLD, setup the unidirectional sync from the old SLD to the new one, move the LMDB to receive its sync from the new SLD (only), migrate the satellite system data suppliers one by one to push data to the new SLD, and when that's all done, turn off the old-to-new-SLD sync and decommission the old SLD.

Cheers,

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Matt! One more question, we just have ECC system registered in SLD. Once we create a separate instance can we use SLD on solman as a backup SLD? Since our landscpae is so small and we have 2 solution manager systems..can we utilize Solution manager SLDs( we already have primary configured on production solman), dev solman SLd as a backup of prod sld? I didn't see "synchronization" option in our current SLD.

What do you suggest?

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi SJ,

This is one of the points of going with a standalone SLD. Your SolMan SLD is restricted by its very nature to being version 7.02 (for SolMan 7.1). The sync feature for SLD was introduced in version 7.1. So, you won't see the feature in your SolMan SLD.

That means you can sync from your SolMan SLD, but not to it. To sync from it, the receiving SLD must be version 7.1 or higher (and I recommend going with the latest, version 7.4).

So, this means that you can't effectively use your PRD and DEV SolMan SLDs as load balancing or backups of each other, at least not without some complicated work and other tools. Therefore, I recommend the standalone SLD. Your SolMan SLD won't be a backup to it, but you can at least set up automatic sync from SolMan ("old") SLD to your new SLD, so you don't lose anything in the meantime while migrating your ECC system over.

Of course, with only ECC to move, you may not even be bothered with setting up the sync. Just install the new SLD, change the ECC data supplier to use it, then change your SolMan LMDB to sync from the new SLD and simply turn off the old SolMan SLD.

With a small landscape, you probably don't really need a fulltime backup SLD. But if you want to have one that stays in sync, you'll need to install a second "new" SLD, probably standalone.

Cheers,

Matt

Answers (0)