cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal not the default viewer

Former Member
0 Kudos

All,

Upon install of Crystal 2013 on a RDS or Terminal server computer I do not want Crystal to be the default viewer for the file type .rpt.  I have another tool for this and many many users.  Is there a way to install Crystal on the RDS computer and NOT have the viewer be the default for the computer and the users profiles?

Thank You

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Do you know of a user GPO and not a computer GPO that will do this on 2012R2?  The standard user GPO for file associations do not work on 2012R2.  The Computer GPO will work using the XML pointer.  This will change the association for the computer and all users upon each login.  Something I would like to avoid.  Any recommendations?

former_member292966
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi John,

Your original post sounded like you wanted the other rpt program to be the default program for everyone and not Crystal.  If I remember correctly, the Crystal install does set the file association but I can't remember if the custom install allows you to overwrite it or not. 

Moving forward, I don't know of a user GPO that would set this.  If you created a Crystal group on the server and add all of the Crystal users and create a GPO for that group's file association, that may do it but it's added management. 

Other than that, I'm still use to right-clicking a file in Windows Explorer and set the default program. 

Good luck,

Brian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Brian,

I have examined the install options and it does not have any options that I can locate for this.  I may be missing something and is a reason for my questions on this topic.

The group GPO for users does not work for file associations in 2012r2.  It does work for Windows workstations.  I am using RDS so the file association for user gpo is not an option since it does not work in this environment.

I am trying to stay away from the computer GPO using the XML.

I am just trying to not have the Crystal make any file association changes and leave everything alone.

This is the computer GPO and I am looking to not use the process.

Computer configuration\administrative templates Windows Components\File Explorer\

Set a default associations configuration file. This policy specifies the path for the XML  file that can be either stored locally or on a network location.  Use the Dism tool to get the XML.

former_member292966
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi John,

You will have to set the file association in the Group Policy or you can have your users manually change it. 

Good luck,

Brian