cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to get started in sap solution manager 7.1?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I am currently working in a ERP environment and I am currently doing change and release management with sap solution manager 7.1. I found I have a passion for SAP solution manager it is a very large tool though with a lot of capabilities. I was thinking of learning more about the tool to one day do consulting. I would like advice from you all on where to start and what to focus on? Should I pursue a certification? Should I master configurations? I would really like some direction from you all.

Thanks,

Wendell

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks so much guys !

Miguel_Ariño
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello,

The SCN wikis here are very good.

What are the scenarios you plan to implement? No matter what scenario you implement, understanding the LMDB and the RFC infrastructure of the Solution Manager is common to all scenarios.

There is a SAP Note which tells you the documentation sources at your disposal: 1583348.

Best regards,

Miguel Ariño

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Wendell,

Solution Manager started as a tool and did not have much focus earlier from customers. After the release of 7.1, it got transformed to a product in itself. It comprises of bits from BW and CRM, it becomes challenging and attracts many.

Now coming to the question where and what to start with.

I am no expert but i can help with what i did in order to learn Solman.

As a starting point, one should master each step and its importance within system preparation and Basic configuration. When we master these then we will be able to resolve most of the issues that crop up while performing further config or during BAU.

Managed system configuration is another area to master so as to understand how Solman is getting data from satellite systems.

For all of these you can go to service.sap.com/rkt to learn about the same

These were the baselines which you need to perform as soon as you have solman in place.

For specific areas, like techmon, ITSM and CHARM, there is rkt ofcourse but in addition we have wiki links for each config. Just google it as wiki + PIMON or wiki + ICMON and you will get the results.(as i was on mobile so could not paste links).

Each wiki link contains prerequisites, guidelines, procedure which will help you configure.

Certification is another thing that can add value but my personal feeling is that first you learn a bit of the product yourself, understanf the terminologies, master them and then go for certification. SAP has different courses like SM100,120,200. You can decide on the same based on whivh area you want to pursue. You can find more on the course at trainings.sap.com

I hope i could help you a bit..there are few experts here which will surely have something to help you and me as well:)

Regards

Aditya