cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation of SAP IQ users mandatory requirement

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

When I was going through the installation guide I had seen that we need to have a user name called Sybase in order to install SAP IQ.

My question is that we don't have a concept of local users and we wanted to have a different username for each NLS system rather than using the user Sybase across the landscape.

Can we have users created as syb<sid> as we have in Sybase ASE?

Is this approach supported or else Sybase user is a mandatory requirement.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markmumy
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

In which scenario is IQ being used?  BW NLS?  Suite ILM?

From a pure IQ perspective, there are no requirements around the OS user that installs and starts IQ.  it could be 'root' for all we care, though root should never be used for security reasons.  I've had customers over the years use sybase, sybaseiq, sybiq, iqXX (where XX is a version number), customer specify names, etc.  It is not an issue for iQ.  Just make sure that the user that installs IQ is the one that starts and stops the server, owns directories and devices, etc.  It's easier and cleaner that way from a permissions and security issue.

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

This would be for NLS perspective.

Thanks so much for the insight. But if you see the installation guide it says that we should Sybase .

c_baker
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

I would suggest following the first quidance at:http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-39627

Although it says to use 'sybase' in section 2.1.3, as Mark says, you can use any userid as long as you consistently use it throughout the IQ environment you are creating.

Chris

markmumy
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

I know that in our internal systems we use something other than 'sybase' for these instances and our testing.  The user name really is immaterial for IQ.  I would recommend that you use a login that is related to your BW instance, as you mentioned a SID could work.

There is no reliance in BW on the OS level user/login for IQ.  All connectivity and dependencies are at the  database level and the database users and logins.

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks so much for the response Mark.

Also the file system layout mentioned in the installation guide we weren't that happy using /usr/sap/

I was thinking we should use something like /Sybase/<SID>_NLS

Like the Sybase ASE.

Its a lot easier to manage the database. What do you think Mark?

Also Mark, we should have standards for FS layout like we have for DB6/Oracle/Sybase ASE.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

I did follow the first guidance document, as you can see its mentioned as Sybase user.

So clarifying stuff related to the same.

Answers (0)