cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

# EA have already been packed. Quantity cannot be changed. Message no. VL616

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Automatic packing is implemented with packing instructions (POP3, POF1 etc.)

When delivery is created, the packing is complete (VBUK-PKSTK = C). User wants to decrease the delivery quantity of material (not packing material), then s/he gets the above standard error message. How to allow user to decrease delivery quantity of material, in outbound delivery?

Thanks!

TW

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi TW

As per my understanding I don't think so this would be possible. This is same like if we say we want to change delivery quantity after creation of invoice. We can't make change in preceding document until we reverse/delete subsequent document. Same logic applies here in packing. When we have packed material in handling unit system consider this as subsequent function and we can't change deliver quantity until we unpack it. Deleting handling unit is not required here but only unpacking is required.

I think you should automate this function using some function like you said in your above comment.

Thank$

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

VeselinaPeykova
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Did your user try to empty the unit containing the material for which he wishes to reduce the quantity?

If he empties the unit, reduces the partial quantity and packs again manually in VL02n - does he get the same error?

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Veselina,

By unpacking and then manually repacking partial material qty in VL02N, he can reduce the delivery qty and proceed with picking and pgi. For example, delivery qty = 10, material packed qty = 5 and unpacked qty = 5, then user can decrease the delivery qty to 5 (not lesser than 5 or else s/he gets the same message)

This way is not preferred because of the large number of line items in the delivery, creating lot of manual work. Any other options?

added: When you say reduce the partial qty e.g. 1 and create 10 HUs, if we reduce delivery qty to 8, system does not allow it because 10 are already packed, it could be packed in "smaller" HUs, doesnot matter.

Thanks!

TW

Message was edited by: TW Typewriter - comment added, more tests done.

VeselinaPeykova
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

But isn't it an exception? My understanding was that this is a one-time problem - e.g. they broke the last case of some material during truck loading and cannot replace it.

Not sure if this will work (I do not have auto packing set up in the sandbox system) - but what about empty all HU, reduce the desired quantities, then trigger auto packing?

Edit: forgot to mention HU delete step.

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Veselina,

Yes, under delivery is an exception situation.

Outbound delivery is created by the business, 3PL does the picking and information is sent by 3PL, business (ECC) receives an IDoc with it picking and PGI are completed. So we do not know the "updated delivery qty" until the IDoc is processed.

One idea was to do partial packing during outbound delivery creation which would allow changing the material delivery qty.

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3805041

Reading your posts, I think another option could be logic in FM - first is to "unpack", then overwrite the quantities and finally repack and continue with PGI completion.

TW

VeselinaPeykova
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I just saw your other thread.

But if you perform partial packing in the way you describe there, you will not send the information on how to pack the products to the 3PL. Is this OK from business point?

If this is OK, then why not perform packing after picking confirmation is done .

I am still trying to figure out the process - who decides how to pack the products - the company or the 3PL. Is this packing info only to serve as a proposal to the 3PL? Is it possible that the 3PL can send back the actual pack information?

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Veselina,

Packing should happen before picking.

Process:

1. Sales order created with material only.

2. Delivery created, with automatic packing instructions, packing is completed in delivery (the packing material, HU populates)

3. Delivery information sent from the company to 3PL which contains material and proposed packing material.

4. 3PL does the picking and dispatch of goods and sends to company the material and packing quantities.

5. These quantities need to be overwritten in the outbound delivery, picking and PGI should get completed.

The option (as suggested by Moazzam, you and me) which could be the solution is to empty the HU and then overwrite the quantities (mostly same as sent out by company, in exception case less than what is sent out by company - under delivery) and continue with other shipping functions.

TW

VeselinaPeykova
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

TW,

Thanks for sharing the process.

I believe you are on the right track. Unfortunately not all external systems have a good in-built pack optimization algorithm, so in your case it looks like SAP is the leading one for pack proposal. If they are able to send you the changes per packID - quantity and packaging material, then it is very good. Do you use automatic adjustment of delivery quantity to the picked quantity at shipment loading end (if you use transportation of course) or at some other event? It might make the things a bit easier for the warehouse employees.