Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network activities out-of-sequence

former_member249720
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Dear experts,

I am dealing with the dates planning on network activities and I face a problem when the planned sequence of activities is not maintained in the actual confirmations, please let me explain it with an example:

The planned sequence is:

Act.1 --> Act. 2 -->  Act. 3  (the relationships are Start-Finish)

The actual confirmations set that the Act.3 was started before Act.1 and Act.2 were finished, against planned sequence.

Therefore, we have an “out-of-sequence” scenario.

I would like to keep the confirmed part of the activity 3 duration in the actual dates and the remaining part of the duration in accordance with the precedence of Act.2; this is some kind of “split” of the activity duration (this is possible in other planning software products).

The SAP PS scheduling options allows to not taking into account de actual dates, but I could find no options to configure what I need (the “splitage” of the duration).

Could you give some advise if there is a way to configure SAP PS scheduling to manage the out-of-sequence scenario “splitting” the activities duration?

Thank you very much in advance.

Al. Arias

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

kenmelching
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You cannot split up an activity, it is assumed an activity will run continuously.  The scheduling algorithm uses actual dates as fixed dates and will schedule in relation to them.

You will need to create a new activity.

It also sounds like you have an invalid relationship between the activities if you can start a successor activity prior to the predecessors starting.

former_member249720
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Thank you Ken for your help; in some other planning software it is possible managing split activities, I am trying to know if SAP PS could be configured to do so.

You are right regarding there is a no longer valid relationship, but the aim is to keep unchanged relationships and manage the dates with the remaining durations.

Possible?