cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SuccessFactors: How to add a link in the main menu to an external web application

0 Kudos

Hi,

We want to add link to the main menu on successfactors that allow the user to go that this 3rd party website. We will need to have a SSO to that web application. That web application does support SAML.

Can you put me to the configuration needed to:

1. Add the link in the menu

2. SSO configuration either with ( Service Provider Settings -- Authorized SP Assertion Consumer Service Settings) and other options

Regards

Ravi

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

You can create a Quick Link

to an internal or external Web page, a file on your server, or a file hosted by
SuccessFactors.

Before you begin

To create a Quick Link, you need to know the full URL of the page or file. If you don't know the
full URL:

If you're creating a link to an internal page or file, contact your IT
department.

If you're creating a link to a file hosted by SuccessFactors, contact
SuccessFactors Customer Success.

To create a Quick Link

1. In the System Properties section, click Quick Link Settings. The Quick Link Settings page opens.

2. Click Add New Link. A new empty row is added.

3. In the Function field, type a description for the Quick Link. Tip Employees will not see this description. Use this description for reference, to make it easier to identify later. This field can't be blank.

4. In the Label field, type the name for the link. Tip This is the name that the employees will see. This field can't be blank.

5. In the URL field, type the full URL of the page or file you want to display when the employee clicks this Quick Link.

Tip You must provide a complete URL, (for example, starting with
http://). The URL of your Quick Link might look like this: https://intranet.mycompany.com/mypage or http://www.yahoo.com.

6. (Optional) Specify any of the following options:

• If you're not using US English, select the language you want to use from the Locale dropdown
menu. Note The language you select will be used for all Quick Links, including existing ones.

• Select the icon to use for the Quick Link.

• To hide the Quick Link from employees, clear the Visible checkbox. Tip You might want to do this, for example, if you're creating a
Quick Link to a document that is being updated. You will be able to change this setting at any time. By default, this checkbox is selected, which means that
users will see the Quick Link.

• To move the Quick Link up, click .

• To open the link in the same browser window, clear the New Window checkbox. Tip If you clear this checkbox, the link will open in the existing
browser window and close the page that the employee is currently viewing. By default, this checkbox is selected, meaning that the link opens in a new browser
window, leaving the current page open.

• To specify the text employees will see when they point the mouse at the Quick Link, type that text in the Mouse Over Text field. Tip Use this text to let employees know what will happen when they
click the link.

• To specify the screen reader text, type that text in the Screen Reader Text field. Tip This is the text that screen readers for the visually impaired, such as JAWS, use. This text doesn't appear on the screen.

7. Click Submit Changes. Your new Quick Link is added. Employees will now be able to click it in the Quick Links left navigation and open the page or file you specified.

Regards,

Swet Bhushan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bhushan,

Your write up is really explanatory but here i'd like to raise one point.

Quick links are generally given to the admins, here concern is related to users, what i understood from he query raised, users need to access 3rd party link from SF platform so i think quick link is not going to help them much.

Pls further comments are welcomed.

regards,

Amit

0 Kudos

Thanks Bhushan and Amit,

I was able to figure out what is needed. We created a new Custom Navigation and given our URL. Now we need to figure out the SSO part as our application has its own user management but obviously we want to make it transparent to the end user.

Regards

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

Appreciate if you can share the solution for future reference.

Rgds,

Amit

0 Kudos

Hi Amit,

What I did was to go to "Configure Custom navigation" link and created a new navigation item and gave the URL to our application. There are some parameters that can be passed it seems. There is SFSF configuration document that detailed this info. I was trying to attach that to this post but looks like there is no option to attach the document here.

Regards

Ravi

lukemarson
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Amit,

Please go to http://service.sap.com/sfsf and select Foundation Capabilities and Tools to get the handbook for Custom Navigation.

Best regards,

Luke

0 Kudos

Thanks Luke.

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

From which module of you'd like to assign this 3rd party web site?

If it is from SF-LMS then i may help you out.

rgds,

Amit

0 Kudos

Hi Amit,

We need this link at the top level not within any module per se. It is a link to our Content Management System which is cross module. Probably this type of setting might be similar for SF-LMS.

Regards

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

Here i am proposing solution with the help of SF-LMS module.

PLs refer below.

Hope this will fulfill your req.

rgds,

Amit

Former Member
0 Kudos

In addition to, this link will reflect to users learning page to whom you have assigned.

rgds