cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP ERP Master Data Beginner

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everyone

a month ago we started to use SAP ERP in our company, now we have too many request from our end users about creating master data.

i just want to know in other projects or in general sap models how we should handle these master data ?

• should we use MDM ?
  • or we just need some staff to create master data per request by implementing a service desk like Solution manager or Jira Atlasian?
  • or we can do this by workflow ?

i really appreciate your suggestions

thank you

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member226173
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Amirhosein,

The answer your question it is not mandatory to have a MDM system in your landscape.

If you have only one ERP system then you can go ahead with an internal team to create the master data directly in the SAP ERP system.

But if you have a diversified landscape with multiple ERP's spread across different geographical location then i would suggest you to go ahead with implementation of MDM.

You can use Portal as a front end and provide access directly to the Business user to create master data and place required Governance for the approval of the data.

Hope this helps

Regards,

Vag Vignesh Shenoy

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

thank you guys for reply i really appreciate it

actually we need an answer for this question

how our end users will inform us about their need on master data

for example

some mm guy wants to reciept a material in his plant and he need that material be exist in that plant

now what he should do ?

for example if we use MDM he should go to PORTAL or something like this and request for a master data and then MDG will forward the request to corresponding guy and will notify the user when it is complete ? ( this procedure is like create support ticket with solution manager)

or he should manually email it to master data team and they login to MDM and create that material

sorry for putting you in trouble

thanks in advance

Former Member
0 Kudos

I wanted to learn more on MDM specific to SAP solution.

Former Member
0 Kudos

no one ???????

henk_verdaasdonk4
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Amirhosein,

The SAP product MDM is manly about consolidation. It will not help you in
question about creating master data. It all depends on what kinds of questions
are raised. Is it about how master data is attributes are used in the SAP transactions?
In that case your best of with clear guide lines, help texts and training.

If the questions are who needs to maintain data, who is accountable and/or who
is responsible. Then MDG (Master data governance) could help you. The system
can force the proper users to take action and master data is only valid after
responsible persons have approved. MDG is a sub space of MDM and here you can
find a lot of presentations about what MDG can do for you.

Have a look at:

http://www.sap.com/pc/tech/enterprise-information-management/software/master-data-governance/index.h...

Cheers,

Henk.