cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create External SAP JAM users via SuccessFactors Platform

0 Kudos

Hello,

We have recently obtained SAP JAM Enterprise Edition licenses, and included in our agreement is a certain number of external user licenses. In our case SAP JAM is integrated with the SuccessFactors platform.

Looking at the SAP JAM Administration guide it documents the JAM user permission types, however it is not clear how to set the user type for SAP JAM to "external", when managing users via SuccessFactors platform. I can create a user with an external email address and they can access JAM, however their access is not limited to their private group, and they do not appear to be counted as an "external" when viewing the license information in JAM.

Can someone advise how to set up an "external" Jam user type via SuccessFactors platform?

Regards,

Luke

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member47640
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Luke,

as you already mention external users should only be able to see the content of the private external groups they've been invited to.

Therefore access authorization is handled directly from within each group. You don't need to provision external users from SuccessFactors Foundation. In fact, I think that's not even possible.

Just invite the external people directly from the group they shoudl have access to. If you invite the same person with the same email address from multiple groups it will just count as one external user license.

Best regards, Christian

0 Kudos

Hi Christian,

The issue I have is that if I enter an external email address to invite someone to a private group, I receive an error pop-up with the text "Unknown e-mail address". I then am unable to proceed with issuing the invitation.

I reviewed the group settings to see if there was a setting to allow for external invitations, however I could not find anything.

Regards,

Luke

former_member47640
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Luke,

it needs to be an "external" group. It doesn't work for a "private" group.

0 Kudos

Hi Christian,

Yes, I believe this is the issue.

We are licensed for external users through our Enterprise Edition license. However when we create a new group, there is no option to create an External group.

I logged a call earlier today with SAP, after consulting SAP note 2082981. It looks like our environment has not been setup correctly. We have had a number of other issues with SAP setting up the environment, so it would not surprise me if this is another issue.

Luke

former_member47640
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Did you enable external group creation in the admin settings?

See page 22 of the admin guide.

http://help.sap.com/businessobject/product_guides/Jam14/en/sap_jam_admin_guide.pdf

Ingo
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Luke,

please check Christian's advice and if this doesn't help, please contact me via Email at Ingo.schulz@sap.com. I know of different implementations for your corporate environment and I would like to check which environment you are using. So, would be great if you could let me

know the company ID you are using, so that I can check which edition has been set up. It would also help me if you could let me know the project context in the email as I know of several different initiatives which have been started in your corporate environment.

Thanks in advance,

Ingo

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

Thanks Ingo and Christian.

This may have been my own fault.

I checked the Features and the external group feature was already ticked. Having said that, it may be that one of the helpful SF team checked it for me after the logging of my support message. Now the option for external groups creation is possible.

Cheers,

Luke

former_member47640
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Great to hear that it's working now.

Just a little bit of context: We don't predeliver the external group feature switched on because some of our customers don't want to use it and having it switched on by default and forgetting to switch it off might cause bigger problems than this way.

Rob_Leaton
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Luke,

Did you create a formal case?

If you did, may I ask you to please forward the case number when you have a chance?

Thank you

Rob

Rob Leaton

Global Topic Manager - SAP Jam

Enterprise Social Software

0 Kudos

Hi Robert,

We created case 38427 with SAP.

Luke