Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BODS for loading Z Tables

former_member196240
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

Can BODS help us load data into SAP Z-Tables without requiring any custom ABAP Development effort?

If yes, could you please help me with the appropriate document which defines the steps to develop the code?

Thanks in advance,

Vinay

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member196240
Participant
0 Kudos

, - have you had a chance to see this thread??

I believe we can load data into SAP Ztables using Data Services.

Can you please let me know what are the available methods to push the data into SAP Ztables using BODS?

Appreciate your response.

former_member187605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Define a 2nd, database , datastore for your SAP system. Specify connection parameters for the database underlying SAP, import your Z-table definitions and use them as target in your data flows.

former_member196240
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Dirk. Few questions and will appreciate your reply.

• It sounds to me to load the Z-tables I don't have to necessarily use the IDoc or FM?
  • Can you please tell why do we need to define 2nd database?
  • Is IDoc or FM used only when loading the standard SAP tables?

Also, I have already setup datastore pointing to SAP and have imported the Z-tables and tried to drag in the data flow but those tables are coming as source.

Thanks!

Vinay

former_member187605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
  1. You often don't have an IDoc or FM for Z-tales, then my proposed solution is a fast workaround.
  2. You need a 2nd datastore definition defined on top of the underlying database, because DS does not support direct writing into an SAP table. That's why they always automatically appear as a source when you drag and drop them into a data flow.
  3. Idoc or FM is mandatory for writing intpo standard SAP tables. You can use the same approach for Z-tables, but that means you'll have to develop the interface first.
former_member196240
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Dirk for the quick turnaround. I will give a try and see how it works.

LeeFung
Participant
0 Kudos

Dirk:

Would you mind sending us some step-by-step instructions on how to insert, update and delete entries in SAP Z-tables via BODS?  Much appreciated.

former_member187605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks to that 2nd datastore definition, there's no difference between writing into Z-tables compared to writing into traditional database tables:

• use the Z-table as target in a data flow for inserting records
  • use Table_Comparison, History_Preserving and/or Map_Operation transforms for updates and deletes
LeeFung
Participant
0 Kudos

Dirk:

But this will require Basis and Security to open up the db-layer access to BODS, so we can set up the ECC datastore for write-access?  Usually companies won't allow direct db-level access to ECC.  I know there is an SAP group called SLO System-Landscape Optimization that does this -- but that's for standard SAP tables I think.

former_member187605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That's the reason why I call this solution a workaround. Obviously, developing the necessary functions to manipulate the z-tables would be the more recommended / logical / expensive approach.

But note that the Basis team does not have to open the complete database layer. They can perfectly grant the necessary privileges on selected Z-tables only to the DS service user.

LeeFung
Participant
0 Kudos

Excuse my dumb question, but the second datastore definition is to be an SAP DS, like shown in this picture?  There is no way to use the SAP Ztable as a target in the BODS DF:

former_member187605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That's not possible indeed. That's why the 2nd data store definition must be based on the underlying database.

Answers (0)