cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Take a long time to change data source location

Former Member
0 Kudos

I recently purchased Crystal Reports 2013 and everything works fine.  But today when I tried to set the data source location after I verify the databse, it takes over 15 minutes for Crystal Reports 2013 to change my data source location and  when I tried to refresh my report data, it takes over 30 minutes just to get parameter page to come up.  I even uninstall and CR and re-install it but the problem persist.  Can anyone give me some idea of how to fix this problem?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ronney,

What database are you connecting to?

Does this happen with all the other reports that have parameters?

It wouldn't be a bad idea to upgrade to SP6.

-Abhilash

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am using Crystal Reports 2013 SP6 already.  It is a MS SQL.  Yea.  It happens to all reports.  But when I go to another machine and run the reports.  There is no problem.  I do think it is my machine more than anything else.  One suggestion to me is that my hard drive may be going bad, what do you think?

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ronney

Make sure the following is true:

For OLE DB use:

MS SQL 2005 - OLE DB Provider

MS SQL 2008 - SQL Native 10

MS SQL 2012 - SQL Native 11

MS SQL 2013 - SQL Native 11

MS SQL 2014 - SQL Native 11

For ODBC use:

MS SQL 2005 - SQL Native

MS SQL 2008 - SQL Native 10

MS SQL 2012 - SQL Native 11

MS SQL 2013 - SQL Native 11

MS SQL 2014 - MSODBCSQL11 [ https://www.microsoft.com/download/details.aspx?id=36434 ]

E.g.; it may be that on the computers where the performance is acceptable, they have the correct db client and on your computer, the client is out of date (?).

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow me on Twitter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Actually, my SQL odbc driver is version 10 and the computer running the same reports are using version 7.  So I have a later version.  Plus, it was working for me at the very beginning and all of a sudden, it took more than 20 minutes to update my data source and took over 45 minutes to generate the report.  In taskmgr I can see that it eat up my disk to about 98 - 100%.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Can you post a screenshot of your cr like the one below? Note the expanded Properties node.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here is the screen shot of my CR

0 Kudos

Hi Ronnie,

So when you say version 10 do you mean you are using the MS SQL Native 10 client in your ODBC DSN connection?  MS SQL 7 is very old and no longer supported so they do need to update, and if you are using Native 10 client they need to update also and update the DSN to use the same. Check with Microsoft to see if the Native 10 client even supports connecting to SQL 7.

I'm thinking this may be server side issue. Get your DBA to check the temp space allocated for those tables. And see if your PC running the server has lots of HD space available, it could be the OS is doing a lot of HD temp space swapping due to low free HD space.

If you copy the SQL from CR and paste it into SQL Management Tool how long does it take to run?

Do all reports take that long or just one or a few?

What happens if you create a new report using the same tables and dropping one field from each table onto the report, or how ever you are using the tables?

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

I fixed the problem.  But it has nothing to do Crystal Reports or MS SQL.  I've have changed my computer and the problem goes away.  I think I got a bad hard drive and ever since I changed computer, everything works right.  Thanks everyone for the effort.  I am greatly appreciated.

Answers (0)