cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does Money Transfer take?

Former Member
0 Kudos

For ECC 6.0, Would anyone be so kind to please explain how long does money transfer from one to another account take if (4 different situations):

1. I finalize the money transfer with Save button in FB60 command window after coming here from F-53 command

2. I finalize the money transfer with Save button in FB70 command window after coming here from F-28 command

3. I finalize the money transfer with Save button in FB50

4. I finalize the money transfer with Save button in FB75 command window after coming here from F65 command

I know it depends on payment method chosen in FBZP and also know that I can track it in FBL1N, FBL3N and FBL5N commands but this doesn't provide information I am looking for.

How could I calculate WHEN money departs from account and WHEN money arrives to recipient account? As accurate as possible. Don't know how long does that take.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

jayj07
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Eston,

If this will help you can think of it this way: SAP is the system/technology being used by your company to send payment instructions to your partner banks/financial institution. Your partner institutions probably have a different system on their own (SWIFT, others) and the clicking of the button in SAP is irrelevant as to when they will process it in their system. I believe Eli has done a great job trying to explain the "factors" that contribute to the timings - from sending up until execution of payment instruction.

Hope this helps.

Jayj

jayj07
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Eston,

Internally, this happens in SAP real-time. If you're talking about realistic bank timings and cycle dates you will need to coordinate with your partner banks.

Hope this helps.

Jayj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Joseph thank you for your reply but could you please explain your reply a little more? For which of four points i mentioned are you referring to? What do you mean with word ''internally''? What exactly happens internally in real time? And would also appreciate your definition of ''realistic bank timings''.

So generally I wonder about how to calculate departure of funds from account and arrival to recipient's account. How to get this information?

Former Member
0 Kudos

could anyone please answer me on my question in first post? based on your answer, i would probably get information (within calculation im asking for) whether or not money can arrive into recipient's account on weekend or holiday as well. Impossible to ask this representative of financial institution, there are tens of millions of institutions worldwide. It would take me thousands of years to collect this info. On the other hand it is most likely irrelevant whether the branch has operating hours on the weekend - reason is obvious: no employee has anything to do with those money transmits since those are automated. However being automated still doesn't anyhow help me understanding the question I am having: how do i know in advance:

- when (see all four points in first post) money departs account

- when (see four points) money arrives to recipient's account

iklovski
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Answering your question, it's irrelevant when or how quick you press the button in transactions F-28, FB50, FB60, etc. What counts for bank message execution is only three things:

a) when the message was sent to financial institution via SWIFT

b) what was the value date mentioned in the message

c) internal procedures of executing bank in regards to beneficiary's bank

Regards,

Eli

Former Member
0 Kudos

Eli I appreciate your reply but I need method (command, software/tool, sap plugin, etc) how to get information or how to calculate WHEN will money depart from sending account and when will this same money of same payment type and same money transfer arrive into recipient's account. So how do I know that before executing (Save button with floppy icon) the money transfer?

Regarding your points:

A: Here obviously no calculation is needed but what kind of effect would be if request was sent inside ecc 6.0 on A day B timezone at C time (either within operating hours of particular branch or after) comparing to X day Y timezone at Z time? No problem to write down time, day, timezone when i click ''Save'' (floppy icon) button but i need to know from timing aspect what is the consequence of this?

B: I think there is no field Value Date but its called Document Date or sometimes Invoice Date. Field Posting Date is always filled automatically and field Translatn Date never required to be filled. Anyway, I set Document Date (Invoice Date) as today's date according to the local timezone.

C: No idea what you mean here. If there are like 10 million financial institution worldwide, probably more, we need to know that from each branch (institution, including online only based institutions without physical branches such as Capital One bank in USA) the money can in each other one worldwide including the same one (accounts opened within the same branch). That means we have 100 million possibilities of starting points of money transfer to the ending points. Now, if one country in average offers like 15 different payment methods, imagine how many combinations would that be. No way to study or ask every single institution separately. I would have to make 1.5 BILLION calls with assumption that every single time person who picks the call in financial institution phone support is ecc 6.0 expert. I wouldn't be done in tens of thousands of years.

My question definitely remains the same: how to know (calculate) in advance when money departs account and when arrives to account?

iklovski
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Again, there is a confusion here. The operations you have mentioned have nothing to do with money transfer; those are just internal SAP transactions. In order to check when bank operation is executed, you have to be aware of the mechanism operated at your client's side which links your SAP system to financial messaging environment, e.g. SWIFT. Based on this information, you would be able to determine the due dates for bank messages, looking at the parameters I have listed already. If you are not familiar with payment architecture at your client's site, I'd suggest seeking assistant of a consultant who set it up and/or maintaining it currently.

Regards,

Eli

Former Member
0 Kudos

Eli I appreciate your reply and respect your time to type it for me but since I am complete beginner in SAP, interested only about worldwide money transmit from one bank account to another, I don't know what are you referring to. Also Not sure about your term ''internal sap transactions'' - whatever does that mean and I have a feeling that right this term is a key point in understanding your post. I am NOT doing anything about payroll (companies paying salaries to employees) so command F110 (if that was what you has in mind) is out of the question.

With a hope that I receive understandable reply even for someone like me who has zero experiences in sap, i will reduce my expectations about this post to maximum and will ask the following, minimum, so i could get at least little understandable info:

When pressing the floppy icon button at the top of the page in either of commands FB60, FB70, FB50, FB75, message occurs that document has been posted and money transmit is requested for 100% automated execution+processing+arrival. Always only one time transfer, always one account as source of money and always one account as recipient of money. So one vendor code versus one customer code, unless there is alternative receiver or alternative sender. In that case i put also their customer/vendor codes but in different fields. Now, I will do my best to answer the following question in a way to get as understandable as possible answer:

In average how long do I have to wait from the moment of clicking on floppy icon button (save/post) to the moment when money departs/leaves source bank account? I am asking for average numerical answer. Thank you in advance!

iklovski
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

I'm under impression that there is communication problem. I believe, the answer I gave is quite exhaustive. Regarding points a), b) and c) mentioned above, I suggest you looking at the picture like you were sending a money transfer request from your own bank account to someone, say, in Venezuela. You would agree that in order to calculate the time it takes to transfer the money, you have to know the following:

a) When message was sent from your bank application?

b) What was the value date?

c) How long will it take for Venezuelan bank to treat your request?

You'd agree that these obvious questions, you would ask when transferring money from your private app on your iPhone, would be relevant also when sending similar instruction via SAP application or another IT product.

However, I fully understand that lack of relevant knowledge in IT systems could, indeed, be an obstacle for understanding of chain of events for bank messages processing. I'm afraid SCN platform is not suitable for detailed explanations on this subject; therefore, I suggest you to seek assistance of SAP consultant working at your client's site for face-to-face explanation how payment architecture works for your client.

Best regards,

Eli

Former Member
0 Kudos

Eli ok now I am starting to understand what are you telling me: from your post I understand that days needed so money transmit is completed are the same if I or anyone else was doing it manually inside online banking or even personally in the branch. So this means for most common payment types of national transfers 1 to 2 business days and for most common payment types of international transfers 3 to 5 business days.

Used were different types of Dates:

1. Document Date which is in some cases defined as Invoice Date or at least those two fields are on exactly the same position.

2. Posting Date (i never filled that field, it was always filled automatically using today's date of Operating System)

3. Value Date

4. Bline Date

The problem is that money of chosen amount hasn't physically departed source bank account. What happened? The only reason what I could think of why this happened is because I might have accidentally (not being aware of I shouldn't have done) defined Document Date, Value Date and Bline Date on same day's date But the problem is that I was working on this at very late time like 9pm or even 10pm. Do you think the remaining three or two hours (until midnight - next date) weren't enough to process the request and the consequence was that request was ignored and money untouched in source account? Not sure what should I choose those dates as then.

iklovski
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Eston,

One more time: execution of bank message depends on many factors and when you pressed the button 9pm, 10pm or at midnight "in those dark hours when evil is exalted" is only one of them. The message could not be generated, it could've been stuck in SWIFT, it could have been not treated by a beneficiary bank, etc. If you want to know about particular payment which didn't go through, you should:

a) first, check that payment message was generated and was out of your IT system

b) second, check with the bank that they got the message

I believe, that wraps up the subject.

Best regards,

Eli

Former Member
0 Kudos

Eli I think we haven't understood each other when I listed those type of dates. I was saying that I was processing this money transmit sap work very late during the day but yet still I typed the same day's date. So if the calendar date changes to next one but sap wouldn't be able to ''react'' that fast, this might be a reason why money hasn't departed source account. When sap ''reacts'' it might see date in the past (document date, value date, bline date) and of course nothing from the PAST may be automatically finalized = money departed from source account.

You said I should check the payment message, whether or not it was generated and was out of IT ecc 6.0 system. Is usage of fbl5n enough to get this information? I don't think so because the information which I can expect from usage of fbl5n is whether or not money was already sent. If yes, green circle, if not red circle, see the screenshot (had to to cover some data for privacy):

But this information if money already departed source account won't help as you also confirmed on your own. How could I within sap do the work you suggested - to check if the payment message was generated and out of sap system? Is there any other command/method which could be used for that? I basically have everything needed to track except the most important thing - the knowledge (method) how to get this answer which YOU suggested. I did some google research with keywords like:

track swift

track swift "document number"

track swift documentno

investigate sap swift messages

swift sap fb60 f-53 fb70 fb50 fb75 f65

ecc 6.0 payment messages lookup

etc but nothing really helped So according to situation the main work is not to study why money is still in account but what is happening with payment request (payment message).