cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grey Metrics in System Monitoring in SAP Solution Manager 7.1 SP 12

0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I have run Managed System Configuration for over 30+ SID's and setup Technical Monitoring for those SID's with SAP standard templates. After applying the templates I let the metrics gather for about a month. Now, after having returned, I see Grey Metrics in System Monitoring in Solution Manager. Some of them are straightforward to fix, like for instance there is a Managed System Setup User expired for one of the SID’s. I fixed that and now I'm good.

However, I’m baffled by some of the SID’s. Like for instance 1 of the SID’s shows all green lights in MSC & the templates are all in place in Technical Monitoring, however when you go into System Monitoring there is still grey metrics? I’m not sure how to begin doing RCA on a grey metric that’s not so straight forward. It's like I'm chasing a ghost.

Does anyone have experience Troubleshooting Grey Metrics? I have looked already on the community and I'm seeing sporadic forums about this with people just listing what could potentially be the problem. I'm looking for methodical advice, things to check, guides? I’d really appreciate your help with this. I want to make sure it’s done perfectly.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

Gray Metrics can be really annoying but fun to work with.

I target gray metrics based on their type. For example, if the gray metric is System availability related or configuration related. Each metric has its own way of getting the data. A system configuration data will come with RFC(Pull) mechanism but the performance data may come from RFC(Pull) or BW specific data within solution Manager.

I follow the steps like below

1) Check what type of Metrics is showing gray

2) Open Data Collector maintenance and see the mechanism used and try to run manual simulation if possible

3) Make use of URL http://<Solman_Host>:80<instance No>/tc~smd~agent~application~e2emai/servlet/MAI in order to see errors in diagnostic agent

4) Check Wily Introscope and E2E RCA for specific data for J2EE systems

5) Check Read/TMW RFC's

6) I also check the managed system for any failure in producing data, say in case of performance related data.

7) Checking the BW infocube for data related to managed systems

You can post here the error you are getting for a gray metrics and we can work together to help resolve the same.

Regards

Aditya Khorana

roland_hennessy
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

Please see the following SAP wiki http://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/SMSETUP/SMS_CHECK_WELCOME For specific metrics please go to Problem Resolution Procedures for MAI Data Providers where you find links to troubleshoot the metrics. Hope this helps. Kind regards, Roland

ruth_reilly
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Michael,

Its good to ensure firstly that there are no errors in the System Preparation, Basic Configuration and the Managed System Configuration.

That you are using the latest Content, for this go to step 2.7 technical monitoring setup.

After updating the content, monitoring has been activated again (click "apply & activate)

Some good Notes/KBA's that you should use:

1819848- All metrics are grey in Technical Monitoring

2016745 - Grey metrics information required fro analysis in technical monitoring with Solution Manager 7.1

2117148 - Troublshooting of grey metrics

Hope this information is helpful.

Regards,

Ruth