cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

APICS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Does anyone know about APICS in US and the certifications offered by them. apics.org is the website and I am wondering how helpful & recognized the certifications offered are.

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

somnath_manna
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Visu,

APICS has the multiple certifications but CPIM and CSCP are most relevant for SAP SCM consultants. In fact CPIM (Certified in Production and Inventory Management) is quite an old certification with many SAP consultants having done it (especially in USA). CSCP (Certified Supply Chain Professional) is recently added. It covers SCM along with overview of CRM, SRM as well as new technologies like RFID, SOA etc.

Interestingly one of CSCP module covering Enterprise IT solutions has significant reference to SAP including SCM/APO screens. So from that aspect doing CSCP will add domain knowledge for an SAP SCM consultant.

On the other hand CPIM is more operational and hence may be more relevant for an ERP consultant. But having done both I feel CPIM gives you a very good base (remember you have to clear 5 exams) while CSCP brings in the latest concepts (and just one exam).

If you want to read some comments of consultants who have cleared APICS certifications recently in India you may check out www.imrmi.com/comments.asp

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Somnath

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Harish and Somnath. That's very useful infromation.

How about the books(material) and classes? It seems the classes are given. How long does it may take to take the CSCP?

Thanks.

Message was edited by:

Visu Venkat

Former Member
0 Kudos

personally i havent done any classes or bought the texts recommended.(i had mm by tony arnold though). some APICS chapters make sure you buy texts before letting you write the exam.

am not aware of the effectivity of the classes. Will depend on the person you get to lead you through i suppose.

the CSCP is a 3 hr exam. unlike APICs that has 5 exams of which you can take 2 max at a time.

check yahoo groups for some good APICs groups where people have shared some studynotes. i will see if i have some in my groups list (am not active there anymore)

I suggest you float a group around your workplace and you might get some more people interested and can share texts , notes etc

somnath_manna
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

CSCP is a 4 hour exam with 175 questions. Time is not a constraint although its difficult to sit through 4 hours.You may like to practice sitting and reading something intently for 3 hours at a stretch : )

All are MCQs with around 10 numerical problems.

There are CSCP study material form APICS comprising of 4 books/printed matter that covers all the 4 modules of the exam. From certification standpoint those 900 approx pages is sufficient. The web reference and text books mentioned on the APICS website are referenced and used in the study material.

However it would be a good idea to read a couple of text books for getting the fundamentals correct.

Don't remember much about CPIM now - but it requires more involved studying.

Thanks,

somnath

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can someone please let me know where can I find material for all 5 levels of CPIM certification?

Regards

Sandeep

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Sandeep,

You have several sources for getting APICS CPIM Material:

1. APICS: Check out the link:

http://www.apics.org/Certification/CPIM/online_courses.htm

2. Fox Valley

http://www.fvtc.edu

3. Weber State University

http://departments.weber.edu/ce/pd/APICS/default.htm

4. IMRMI

This is a chapter in India which organizes and conducts APICS courses. You can get a hard copy of the material from someone in the CPIM learning group.

http://www.imrmi.com/

5. DataChem

http://www.certistep.com/

6. ebay - you could also bid for a copy.

Regards,

Nishant

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hai Somnath,

Will it be possible for you to share the study material (900 pages) you have referred, pertaining to CSCP course?

Thanks,

Murali.J

somnath_manna
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No. Its printed study material procured by our company and kept in library. I had issued the material from the library for exam preparation.

Thanks,

Somnath

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Somnath,

It would be very helpful if u provide few guidlines

I want to do CPIM only for Basics of SCM as for now,

Later i would like to go with rest of modules or i may not, is it possible to get certified,

Can iget the documents based to this Basic's of SCM, its too costly to download from websites

Plz help

Thanks in Advance

Regards,

Sanvi G

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

CPIM is quite a popular certification offered by APICS

Am not sure how recognized it is in the US. But it is definitely a way of saying you are focussing on SCM.

Quite a bit it aligned to the SCM work you would be doing.Also it might get you some kind of network depending on the chapter in your area

Also check the new CSCP - certified supply chain professional. Somnath i know has done it. he might tell us how it is.